• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Sign Install Backing Material Help

njteaser

Hi All,

I have a question regarding what type of material I should use for a job I have coming up. Basically I have a new customer that needs an exterior sign fabricated and installed. He wants it installed in-between 2 4x4 posts, sign size is 3' x 6'. The spec is for a black background with vinyl lettering. I have been looking into using something along the lines of Omega Sign Board or Alumalite along with these brackets

B-DCA480.gif

for the install, but can’t seem to find the right material that comes in a black finish, is 1/2 (will 1/2 be thick enough to withstand wind in this setup?) and is suitable for outdoor use. I would appreciate any help or direction on this.

Thanks in Advance,

NJ

Malkin

If the substrate doesn't come in the needed color, we usually will coat it out with a cast vinyl (or do a full digital print).

Paint is also an option if done right.

njteaser

I have no problem skinning it (whatever material I use) with black vinyl first then letter it, but it’s the material of choice I am having an issue with. I was hoping a one-all solution of a material that is already black, and thick enough to withstand a good blowing wind and be outdoor friendly, any suggestions?

njteaser

I think I am going to use 1/2" alumalite, as you suggested. Only comes in white from what I can see at N. Glantz but I will just have to black vinyl coat both sides. Only issue now is cutting it, since I need a 3' x 6' and this only comes in 4' x 8' I will have to cut it to size. Circular saw? Recomendations?

Malkin

A panel saw is best, but you could make do with a circular saw, jig saw, or table saw. Use a fine tooth blade.

gbarker

Any of the saw suggestions above will do fine. I suggest using trim cap too. If your cut is a little off or you accidentally gouge a small section sometimes the trim cap will cover it. It will also help the black stay down longer. Be careful putting it on and use silicone so it won't come off easy.