• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

SignLab 9.1 Windows 10 Issue

Artist369

So last night i upgraded to Windows 10. Once everything was finished i checked all my programs to make sure they worked. When i tried to send something to cut in SignLab i get the attached error. I'm assuming its a dongle issue, but im sure how to fix it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_20200210_224025.jpg
    IMG_20200210_224025.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 865

WildWestDesigns

May have to update the firmware on your dongle. See if there is an update on the driver for your security device for Win 10. That would be the first thing that I would look for.

WildWestDesigns

Well, from what I'm reading, SignLab 9 officially supports XP through Win 7 OSs.

I don't think it's officially supported for Win 10 (which could also go into the fact that there are no driver update).

WildWestDesigns

9 is for 32 bit machine . I think. 10 is definitely a 64 bit. WIndows 10 is 64 bit.

9 is actually for both, at least going off Cadlink's brochure for 9 and Win 10 also has 32 bit variants well.

Keep in mind, 64 bit Windows also has 32 bit libraries in order to run 32 bit program still. What used to get people in trouble early on during the 32 bit/64 bit days is that 64 bit doesn't have 16bit libraries to run those old 9x programs (even if the program itself was 32 bit, but had a 16bit installation stub).

Attachments

• Signlab9.png
    Signlab9.png
    43.1 KB · Views: 466

Artist369

I reached to Cadlink. In case anyone else has this issue below is their response.

That dongle is very old and is not supported on Windows 10. Here are your options.

1. Just exchange your dongle for a new flash drive type USB dongle - $125 US plus shipping.

2. Upgrade to Signlab 10 Vinyl Pro for $400 US plus shipping - includes the dongle exchange. The upgrade also includes 3 months of free Tech Support which you can extend by a full year for 15 months of coverage for $149 when you upgrade - regular $299. It will also include a free Fluid Mask add on module (value $200).

3. If you are just doing basic vinyl cutting and only running one vinyl plotter you could upgrade to Signlab 10 Cut Pro for $200 plus shipping > includes 3 months Tech Support and dongle exchange.

Bert Wondervan

Totally rubbish.

You can install and use all old and new versions of SignLab 10, 9.1, 7.1 and even version 6.1 in Windows 10 without the only problem.

-Uninstall SignLab 9.1 and reinstall it. that's all ...

WildWestDesigns

Totally rubbish.

You can install and use all old and new versions of SignLab 10, 9.1, 7.1 and even version 6.1 in Windows 10 without the only problem.

-Uninstall SignLab 9.1 and reinstall it. that's all ...

I know some people don't care about semantics, but what's going on, even the response from Cadlink, is about official support of an older version on a newer OS. One may get it to work, it may take tweaks in order to do so (by tweaks I mean may have to do something a little extra to get it to work), but as far as official support, it isn't there on newer OSs. Regardless if you get it to work or not on the OS.

Here is the kicker, on Windows 10, given it's rolling release, perpetual beta nature, any new version (especially if it's a big update) one runs the risk of it fubar'ing the legacy software. It may be in this Spring update or it may be some update 3 yrs down the line, but if that update fubars the install, at that point in time, more then likely going to have to pony up for the update or go with a different software vendor.

player

I know some people don't care about semantics, but what's going on, even the response from Cadlink, is about official support of an older version on a newer OS. One may get it to work, it may take tweaks in order to do so (by tweaks I mean may have to do something a little extra to get it to work), but as far as official support, it isn't there on newer OSs. Regardless if you get it to work or not on the OS.

Here is the kicker, on Windows 10, given it's rolling release, perpetual beta nature, any new version (especially if it's a big update) one runs the risk of it fubar'ing the legacy software. It may be in this Spring update or it may be some update 3 yrs down the line, but if that update fubars the install, at that point in time, more then likely going to have to pony up for the update or go with a different software vendor.
You know when it's going to go DOA by how big a deadline you are working to meet. It should crash at about 2am Sunday when you have been up all weekend trying to complete a very time sensitive project. The higher the value and importance of the job, the more likely you will have your software stop working. If it is on a weekend when you can't call any tech support it is much more likely to crap out. Alternatively if you have a really important client coming over to view layouts or work with you on the computer it will work the night before, but when you sit down with the client the next morning it's not going to run.

Last edited:

WildWestDesigns

You know when it's going to go DOA by how big a deadline you are working to meet. It should crash at about 2am Sunday when you have been up all weekend trying to complete a very time sensitive project. The higher the value and importance of the job, the more likely you will have your software stop working. If it is on a weekend when you can't call any tech support it is much more likely to crap out. Alternatively if you have a really important client coming over to view layouts or work with you on the computer it will work the night before, but when you sit down with the client the next morning it's not going to run.

Uh oh, that sounds like someone has had first hand experience with the rolling release OS.

Artist369

I agree, been there. That's why we decided to just go ahead and upgrade. Great thing is that i should be getting it this morning. so only 1 1/2 days of somewhat down time isnt too bad.