• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

simple shape problem

crny1

Not really a problem but I cant figure out the best way to do it.

for example.... you have a oval with no fill. you have 2 vertical paths thru the oval which essentially divides it into 3 section. How can I join the oval and 2 paths so that I can fill just the center section between the 2 paths? Does this make sense?

threeputt

Not sure what it is you're trying to accomplish. But let's start with this...(see attached file) Is this sort of the idea?

Attachments

• oval.jpg
    oval.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 76

threeputt

Step 1:
In your "draw" program, (vector based) create your oval.

Step 2:
Select the oval and in your tool box, slice and dice with whatever tool allows a cut all the way through the object. That will leave three shapes which are "closed" shapes, and as such, can be filled.

Step 3:
Color fill the each shape. Then use your outline tool to create an outline (in my example, it's black) around the entire three piece object.

Step 4: Fill that shape.

Really, without knowing exactly what you're working with, that is about as close as I can come to helping out.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Take a look at the shape builder tool (depending on what version of Illy you have)
It is similar to the pathfinder tool but more visual and easier to use.
Select your oval and copy to the clipboard.
Select your 2 lines and oval - click the shape builder tool (shift M).
Hold the alt key and select the outer "ears" of the oval - this will trim the shape to the inner section between the 2 lines and the border of the oval.
Paste the complete oval back into place behind the new center section (ctrl b)
Now you have a complete ellipse with a trimmed center section on top.

wayne k
guam usa

If you did this in CorelDraw all you'd have to do is select the smart fill tool and click the center - it would add the new shape bordered by the 2 lines and the ellipse.

crny1

threeputt
Yes thats the idea.
Started with a oval or shape for that matter (doesnt really have to be a oval)
Need to fill a section of the center with a color.
How do you break the lines to essentially create 3 shapes?