• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Sleep mode on Epson s80600

Dan Berg

New to me S80600 and have a few questions. The 2 small 1" diameter fans in the back enclosed panel are whining quite loudly and not sure if that is normal. In sleep mode they do not shut off and are whining away. Should they shut off in sleep mode? Do you folks shut your printers off when not in use? To start I may only use this once or twice a week and would like to know if I should turn it off or leave it on?
Dan Berg

CanuckSigns

When you onload media they get loud, but they should turn off when the printer goes to sleep after 30-60 minutes.

I never manually turn mine off, it looks after itself pretty well

Dan Berg

I have the sleep mode set to 15 minutes but both of those fans never shut off. Must be some issue?

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
It's normal... they drove me absolutely mental, so I converted mine to silent Noctua branded 40mm fans by 3D printing some new shrouds which stepped down to the 25mm size. The printer is now absolutely silent when idle.

1651968248652.png

Last edited:

Goldenstateprint

Not sure the issue, but my s80600 is silent when asleep, if you’re under warranty I would defintely reach out to Epson to fix the issue.

Saturn

Aging Member
CanuckSigns, that's the 3D printed fan adapters (the clear things) still attached to the 3D printer after rising out of the resin, if I'm not mistaken. Very cool.

The fan whine drives me nuts too. Would love to hear more about the customization SignMeUp.

As far as I can tell, there's NO ink circulation when you're in 9-ink mode, and the manual doesn't specifically mention leaving the printer on 24/7 unless you have white or metallic installed and are in 10-ink mode. So my vote still goes that it's okay to turn off nightly as long as you're running it regularly anyway.

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
Saturn is spot on... these are the fan shroud adapters coming out of the resin 3D printer. The bottom "square" replicates the small factory fan skeleton. These attach using the factory holes and screws.
At the other end of the shroud is where the new silent 40mm fans are attached.

All of this being said, I discussed turning the printer off overnight with Epson Australia, and they said they frequently leave their demo machines turned off for 2-3 weeks at a time and it's never been an issue. You may need a light clean to get going again, but the PrecisionCore heads are very reliable and don't clog easily.
I just prefer leaving ours on as we do with all of our printers so they can self-maintain when required.

Last edited:

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
Fan shrouds out of the 3D printer:

20190523_151606.jpg

Shrouds installed in place of factory 25mm fans:

20190524_093933.jpg

Noctua 40mm fans installed. Had to use zip/cable ties as I couldn't be bothered 3D modelling screw threads:

20190524_100121.jpg

Factory fan specs:

2cfm @ 11,000rpm

Noctua fan specs:

4.8cfm @ 4,500rpm

Saturn

Aging Member
I love it. How long have you been running it this way?

Wanna share or sell the STL files? ;p

Dan Berg

Thanks guys. One person says fans shut off and another says they stay running so still not sure which way it is supposed to be. Tech left Friday to the tune of $5100 for 2 heads and the service call. To get her back is $250 plus $175 an hour.
Will see what she says Monday. Looks like I can replace those fans (If needed) myself if they will send me the fans. Techs think they are the only ones smart enough to work on these printers.
I told the gal I greased the rods and she questioned me how I knew how to do that and was it done to Epson's specifications. Huh...