• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Small shop looking for employee management advice

Warmoth

How are you all currently tracking/managing orders?

This problem might be a somewhat simple fix by looking at how the order details are communicated (i.e. if there's a job ticket with all of the order details so that any employee can see the job instructions)
Honestly I’ve come up with a pretty good solution, but half the battle is getting everyone on board. On occasion, the system is circumvented due to years of doing it another way.

Up until about a year ago, every order became a handwritten note. Since the orders were processed by a single individual, many times not every detail was documented. Upon order completion, the notes (which included a brief description of the items and their prices) were actually given to the one who created invoices, to be deciphered. I shudder at the billing inaccuracies that must have occurred.

But I have introduced a Quote/pricing Spreadsheet that syncs with a Kanban board via Google scripts. I hesitate to call it a spreadsheet - it functions more like a program. It even has its own file system (New, Open, Save, etc.). When orders are entered (properly), they automatically become a card on the Kanban board. The card displays customer information, and the details of the items in the order. It even includes a checklist of item-specific tasks required for completion (print, laminate, plot, add grommets, etc.). Upon completion, these files are actually importable directly into QuickBooks. No more manually entering invoice data. I'm continually improving the process, and minimizing manual user input as much as possible. But certain things are trickier for it to communicate (ie: "Print these decals on the old printer otherwise the color is off").

As I said though, there’s ways around it. Sometimes the users will create a card manually, and get lazy when filling it out (back to the old ways of not including every detail) Or just not create a card at all.

Here's an example of the process. The spreadsheet does a lot more than what's visible. It estimates order completion time, item material cost and processing costs, order weight (for shipping), emails quotes to customers, has rudimentary (with big plans) inventory tracking. I could go on and on. This spreadsheet has been evolving for about 7 years. I only recently added the kanban board to the mix (6 months ago).

1667618088429.png

1667618887952.png

• Informative
Reactions: 2B

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
This spreadsheet has been evolving for about 7 years.
I suggest you migrate all that spreadsheet work into a real database solution. You could be done in seven days with what you have thus far.

You're either skilled at layout or have a natural talent or likely both. The attached WO lands in the so-called golden ratio of graphic design. Myth or not, it's easy on eyes and fits many devices.

More later when I find the time.

Attachments

• grab WO Layout 1.jpg
    grab WO Layout 1.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 138

Warmoth

I suggest you migrate all that spreadsheet work into a real database solution. You could be done in seven days with what you have thus far.

You're either skilled at layout or have a natural talent or likely both. The attached WO lands in the so-called golden ratio of graphic design. Myth or not, it's easy on eyes and fits many devices.

More later when I find the time.
Thank you very much for the compliment. My goal was a logical flow, with ease of use and simplicity. There are certain unavoidable restrictions of the medium that can make it quite a challenge.

As for migrating this over, I have actually discussed it with a friend of mine who is a coder. He saw what I accomplished on my own and thinks it could be turned into something sellable

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
As for migrating this over, I have actually discussed it with a friend of mine who is a coder.
You've already created most of the "code" which is your spreadsheet formulas and calculations.

I recommend you download a free 45 day trial copy of Claris FileMaker Pro ASAP, open any of their templates in "layout" mode, paste a screenshot of your spreadsheet into it (just as I already have), then start dragging fields and objects into position by snapping to its grid. Then use its calculation engine and start entering your spreadsheet formulas for the specific fields.

If you start now you'll be proficient by Monday morning.

Attachments

• grab WO Layout 2.jpg
    grab WO Layout 2.jpg
    196.7 KB · Views: 150

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
But certain things are trickier for it to communicate (ie: "Print these decals on the old printer otherwise the color is off").
Some tips for your project...

You'll want individual line item IDs (numbers) for each and very line item. When you have either a quote ID number or work order ID number, you can merge the simple line item number with the prefix of the quote or order such as Q55555.1, Q55555.2, etc. This convention is common and will come into play very often for everybody.

You'll want to have an appreciation for using separate quote numbers from work order numbers. You won't win every quote / bid. Therefore, those numbers don't necessarily jibe with work order numbers. You can, however, use the work order to be the same as the invoice number.

Because sign products are so complex being made of so many components, it's usually necessary to dedicate a layout solely for individual line items. The layout will show all the components to construct the item. It's this data entry layout where the many details are found and where the work order (hard copy?) gets its information for production people to read. A line item "product" can be dependent on key machines which make it. So, when the machine is memorialized on a line item record, future questions of how the job was created can be found in the database.

RMarshall

Honestly I’ve come up with a pretty good solution, but half the battle is getting everyone on board. On occasion, the system is circumvented due to years of doing it another way.

Up until about a year ago, every order became a handwritten note. Since the orders were processed by a single individual, many times not every detail was documented. Upon order completion, the notes (which included a brief description of the items and their prices) were actually given to the one who created invoices, to be deciphered. I shudder at the billing inaccuracies that must have occurred.

But I have introduced a Quote/pricing Spreadsheet that syncs with a Kanban board via Google scripts. I hesitate to call it a spreadsheet - it functions more like a program. It even has its own file system (New, Open, Save, etc.). When orders are entered (properly), they automatically become a card on the Kanban board. The card displays customer information, and the details of the items in the order. It even includes a checklist of item-specific tasks required for completion (print, laminate, plot, add grommets, etc.). Upon completion, these files are actually importable directly into QuickBooks. No more manually entering invoice data. I'm continually improving the process, and minimizing manual user input as much as possible. But certain things are trickier for it to communicate (ie: "Print these decals on the old printer otherwise the color is off").

As I said though, there’s ways around it. Sometimes the users will create a card manually, and get lazy when filling it out (back to the old ways of not including every detail) Or just not create a card at all.

Here's an example of the process. The spreadsheet does a lot more than what's visible. It estimates order completion time, item material cost and processing costs, order weight (for shipping), emails quotes to customers, has rudimentary (with big plans) inventory tracking. I could go on and on. This spreadsheet has been evolving for about 7 years. I only recently added the kanban board to the mix (6 months ago).

View attachment 162423

View attachment 162427
This is honestly really impressive and whether or not you program your own database or go with an MIS the next step definitely seems like focusing on/investing in making the database/MIS the backbone of your shop.

We used to use handwritten job tickets before we switched to using PrintSmith a few years after I started.
That was before we did any large format printing in-house but whoever was taking the order would fill out all the technical details and price the job when they wrote it up.
It had all the instructions on which printer & paper to use, qty, finishing steps, etc. with the idea that anyone in the shop could look at the ticket and know what needed to be done to complete the order.
The ticket layout was constantly being edited based on what equipment we had and employee feedback but I attached the version we used in 2017 before switching to PrintSmith.
Once the order was completed the ticket went to the accountant who drew up a QuickBooks invoice and billed the client.

The pro's about the ticket were that it gave a good visual of the overall production process without being too wordy while also letting the salesperson write out the job instructions as detailed as necessary.
The con's were that it was time consuming to write up, took more time/expertise to be able to price everything out, lots of room for human error, made record keeping a total PITA.
It worked great for a small shop but it wasn't scalable.

PrintSmith (or any MIS) was a huge undertaking but worth it in so many ways.
Record keeping and invoicing is so so much easier, prices for labor/material are easily updated, accounting is incorporated so you don't have to rely on another system like QuickBooks, I could keep going.
I would NOT recommend PrintSmith if you only do large format - it's geared towards digital/offset and their LF module is not great.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-11-08 at 11.02.46 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-11-08 at 11.02.46 AM.png
    820.3 KB · Views: 118
  • Screen Shot 2022-11-08 at 11.02.39 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-11-08 at 11.02.39 AM.png
    945.2 KB · Views: 117

Warmoth

Some tips for your project...

You'll want individual line item IDs (numbers) for each and very line item. When you have either a quote ID number or work order ID number, you can merge the simple line item number with the prefix of the quote or order such as Q55555.1, Q55555.2, etc. This convention is common and will come into play very often for everybody.

You'll want to have an appreciation for using separate quote numbers from work order numbers. You won't win every quote / bid. Therefore, those numbers don't necessarily jibe with work order numbers. You can, however, use the work order to be the same as the invoice number.

Because sign products are so complex being made of so many components, it's usually necessary to dedicate a layout solely for individual line items. The layout will show all the components to construct the item. It's this data entry layout where the many details are found and where the work order (hard copy?) gets its information for production people to read. A line item "product" can be dependent on key machines which make it. So, when the machine is memorialized on a line item record, future questions of how the job was created can be found in the database.
Thank you for the suggestions and advice! I have never given FileMaker a shot. I will look into it and see if it's a good fit.

Warmoth

This is honestly really impressive and whether or not you program your own database or go with an MIS the next step definitely seems like focusing on/investing in making the database/MIS the backbone of your shop.

We used to use handwritten job tickets before we switched to using PrintSmith a few years after I started.
That was before we did any large format printing in-house but whoever was taking the order would fill out all the technical details and price the job when they wrote it up.
It had all the instructions on which printer & paper to use, qty, finishing steps, etc. with the idea that anyone in the shop could look at the ticket and know what needed to be done to complete the order.
The ticket layout was constantly being edited based on what equipment we had and employee feedback but I attached the version we used in 2017 before switching to PrintSmith.
Once the order was completed the ticket went to the accountant who drew up a QuickBooks invoice and billed the client.

The pro's about the ticket were that it gave a good visual of the overall production process without being too wordy while also letting the salesperson write out the job instructions as detailed as necessary.
The con's were that it was time consuming to write up, took more time/expertise to be able to price everything out, lots of room for human error, made record keeping a total PITA.
It worked great for a small shop but it wasn't scalable.

PrintSmith (or any MIS) was a huge undertaking but worth it in so many ways.
Record keeping and invoicing is so so much easier, prices for labor/material are easily updated, accounting is incorporated so you don't have to rely on another system like QuickBooks, I could keep going.
I would NOT recommend PrintSmith if you only do large format - it's geared towards digital/offset and their LF module is not great.
Great input. I appreciate the screen shots of your workorders too! It's cool to see other peoples approaches. Like I said before, we have no formal training and we're just kind of winging it.

gnubler

I'm not sure many here have any formal training other than learning on the job. I had almost no experience in sign making when a local business closed and was basically dumped in my lap, either take it or leave it, so I had no choice but to learn as I go. I've lasted two years and am about to move to a larger commercial space. I consider Signs101 my teachers, including all the abuse they dish out...it's just the nature of the work. My background was in commercial printing, equally as coarse. Makes me wonder if a print shop or sign shop was ever featured on that show "Dirty Jobs".

White Haus

Not a Newbie
Thank you for the suggestions and advice! I have never given FileMaker a shot. I will look into it and see if it's a good fit.

If you've come up with all that from scratch, you'll find that Filemaker is a walk in the park. Really impressed with what you've designed there.

I've started some rudimentary costing spreadsheets over the years and even dabbled in Filemaker for a bit, but always get caught up in needing to get back to work, instead of dedicating time to work ON the business like I know I should.

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
I have never given FileMaker a shot.
It's just another business tool maybe you haven't been aware of, is all. Besides its layout and calculation engines which you'll be up to speed with in no time, the security and scripting engines will add functionality where spreadsheets fall short, not to mention the efficiency of record storage.

Really consider creating a separate layout for users to create individual line items. Quotes > Line Items < Products < Components (materials & services)

Good luck.

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
We have a similar setup. We have 4 ppl. I run the printer, my bf sells, His daughter is the graphic artist and installer. Her husband is an installer and in charge of the back. Everyone has jobs and we can all fill in gaps where needed. We each know just enough of the other's jobs to handle it in a pinch.

Warmoth

If you've come up with all that from scratch, you'll find that Filemaker is a walk in the park. Really impressed with what you've designed there.

I've started some rudimentary costing spreadsheets over the years and even dabbled in Filemaker for a bit, but always get caught up in needing to get back to work, instead of dedicating time to work ON the business like I know I should.
Thank you very much. And yes, I feel the same way! The emails never stop chiming and the phone never stops ringing. I've got a list of business improvements that never seems to get any shorter.

Thanks for continued advice ColorCrest!

rvolkers

Hey all,

My family and I run a sign shop that averages about 90 orders a week. Orders that range from small walk-in window stickers to large chemical plant warehouse signage. Though we've been at it for 30+ years, we've never had any formal training. We’re pretty sure we're doing a lot of things “wrong”. I know we could take strides to turn our family business into something more. And hopefully into something less stressful.

As it stands right now we are a 5 person team, and It's almost as if we're each our own company. 4 of us take and process orders almost entirely from start to finish. And we have 1 dedicated “grunt” who fills in the gaps (weeding/masking and sign assembly). We have a fairly simple “menu” of items. Stickers/decals, banners, magnets, and ordinary flat panel signs (mostly aluminum, sintra, coroplast). Besides lots and lots of vehicle graphics and occasional storefront windows, we don't do installations. I think the “hands-on” care that is taken for each order has been good for us thus far, but it needs to change if retirement is to ever be considered.

I know there’s a lot of one man shops on here, but for you shops with employees, how do you delegate work? Do you have employees with a singular focus (dedicated designers, plotter operators, weeders, and so forth), and each order has everyone's hands on it? Or are your employees expected to “wear many hats”? (John answers the phone and takes out the trash in between designing yard signs and installing diesel truck graphics).

Some opinions/input would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
a small shop can be great and can also be a disaster!
1 one person dedicated to only dealing with customers walk-in and phione calls and e-mails
2 one person to meet with clients to discuss their needs - and do pre designs
3 depending on (LOAD) artists
4 print production and table person!

NOW - that order of what you are asking - can be done by 2 people up! - but it is best to have people dedicated to what they do that said people can wear a few hats (thats always a good thing)