• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Software Tools

Conor Knoxx

well... my first struggle was where to post this question!

Being first and foremost "new" - this seemed the best spot :tongue:

So, trying to speed up the learning curve a touch, by drawing on this huge pool of experts :wink:

Software question: I have Flexi-8 Print and Cut on the way / on order. I see in many folks sig's that even though they have top-tier sign software (Flexi Pro etc) they still have Corel / Illustrator / Photoshop etc.

Instead of waiting to install Flexi, then learning and poking around, and THEN deciding I need to order a Corel Draw (my fav of those programs) - I'm wondering if I will need it (and therefore get on the way now..)

If so, why?

As for "what I'm doing" it is the basics of cut vinyl, printed vinyl/graphics, some banners, etc. (store fronts, vehicle lettering, etc.)
For hardware I have a 36 inch cutter and a Mutoh ValueJet (on the way)

Currently, I am using a super-basic Flexi (came with the cutter) - demo versions of Corel / Illustrator and Adobe Photoshop Elements. Many things are a struggle to do now, with tons of importing / exporting / deleting / etc. I also ordered two flexi training DVD's with the flexi software to help me along, in the hopes I won't make too much of a pest of myself here :Big Laugh

Thanks in advance!
Conor

player

How about giving us some idea of your background... what skills you have etc.

You will need a vector program- ie Coreldraw, Flexi, Illustator

Also a photo editing program- Photoshop, Corel Photopaint

When you go to print you need a rip- Flexi, Postershop,

Most programs now will work with both but will be designed usually to work better in either vectors or bitmaps (photo images).

The Corel Package is a great starter because it comes with so much for the money. Lots of fonts, tools, clip art...I understand it is not a true Postscript Level 3 program so it does not necessarily keep the colours consistant when importing or exporting. Some people use them without complaint. The Adobe products are and do.

Flexi is also good at some things, and is designed for the sign biz.

It sounds like you are loading up big time. I would be sure you have covered your software bases but don't keep buying. Learn to use what you have.

P

cartoad

We have Corel X3 (just upgraded), CS2 Suite, Flexi 8, and engraving software as well as some speciality programs. We have found that due to files we received that we needed the CS2, and designers work in several programs depending on what they are doing. Also have speciality software programs. For us we seem to work in multiple programs depending on the job and work station. Unless you have deep pockets don't buy all the software at once, see what you need, then purchase as you need it. Flexi will do a lot for you. Not much help I guess, good luck,
Hal