• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Solar Powered Lights for signs?

mikefine

Is the technology there yet?

I am estimating a 3' x 5' post and panel sign for a condominium entrance. The client wants to consider solar lights as an option. (The sign sits back too far
to use reflective vinyl.)

I have tried some solar light brands from Home Depot, but they don't seem to be vibrant enough to effectively illuminate a sign.

Can anyone recommend an affordable source or option? Thank you....Michael

FishnSigns

Haven't found one yet. We have tried 2 different (non home depot options). Both versions were way too dim and the clients were unhappy. Ended up going with 110 power instead. If you find a good solution, I'm interested.

signage

Solar power lighting has not gotten this far yet. The Solar panels do not put out enough to keep the sources charged.

radiohead223

you can build your own led light system with solar panels to charge a battery back. but the problem is always going to be the batteries will not last to long with the constant charging and discharging

nwsigns

You can do it but its not cheap - you need to go with a commercial solar system. We did this job several years ago where it would have been really expensive to bring power in. This is in Washington where solar is not a good idea but with the right battery it works.

Wish I had the info from where I got it but I sold that business so dont have the files any more - search for solar sign lighting and you should get some good options, just remember you get what you pay for with solar.

Attachments

• Building-Blocks-Sign1.jpg
    Building-Blocks-Sign1.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 287
  • Building-Blocks-Sign4.jpg
    Building-Blocks-Sign4.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 259

Hytek Tools

This is a real bummer, we were planning on trying solar on an up and coming project! Given this information we might have to rethink it...

Locals Find!

I met with an electrician the other day doing lighting using a combination of solar panels and led bulbs. You may want to contact a good local electrician and see what options are available in your market.

Hero Signs

If they let me make it, they will come
The middle east is full of solar powered street lights. Seen it myself, not sure what they are using, not the focus of my visit, but they do work well.