• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Suggestions solid color boat wrap

signgirl71

This will only be the 2nd boat I have wrapped in years but since the first one went rather well I'm willing to try it again. The first one I had printed on 30 ij180cv3-10 with comply and it was great to install. This customer is wanting a solid sea foam green or a solid black with no printing on it what so ever. What type of vinyl would you use as I can't see printing a solid color and laminating - but I could be wrong. Looking for your advice. Also, I know pricing differs all over the place but what would be a round about cost for a 23' covering just the colored part? Thanks in advance!

unclebun

You would use colorchange wrapping vinyl, which is precolored and doesn't need lamination. You'll have to order a color chart from your provider so you can let your customer see the available colors to choose one.

DL Signs

Never go against the family
Just go with 3M 1080 or 2080 color change film, pick a stock color and go. It's all air release, comply, yada, yada, won't be much different than printed 180, just a bit thinner depending on what lam you used on the 180. No lam required, rolls are 60" wide, full roll is 25 yards, and you can buy by the yard from most vendors if you need more/ less than a full roll. Avery has some good color change wraps too if 3M doesn't have a color that suits the customer. Just like all vinyls on boats, keep it above static water line. Do what unclebun suggests and get color charts, or a sample of whatever color they pick, they will be different in real life than what you see on the screen.

signgirl71

call me stupid but when you say color change vinyl - are they solid colors or are they colors that look like different colors from different angles? I'm used to just print and lam not the solid colors so I'm not very familiar with other vinyls. The guy also sent me (when I asked the color he was looking for) a picture of the vinyl frog website with the color he is after. Has anyone ever used this vinyl and if so what do you think?

DL Signs

Never go against the family
call me stupid but when you say color change vinyl - are they solid colors or are they colors that look like different colors from different angles? I'm used to just print and lam not the solid colors so I'm not very familiar with other vinyls. The guy also sent me (when I asked the color he was looking for) a picture of the vinyl frog website with the color he is after. Has anyone ever used this vinyl and if so what do you think?
Color change vinyls are solid colors, not to be confused with color shift vinyls that change colors.

Doing a quick look at Vinyl Frog's website, there are too many things missing. Like life expectancy, whether it's cast, polymeric, calendared, mil thickness, stretch percentages, warranty... These are red flags for me. These are Chinese imported vinyls, which is why all this information is missing. You never know what you're getting as far as quality, some isn't much better than craft vinyl. If it fails or fades in a month, you know the customer will blame you because you installed it, or didn't warn them that it may not hold up. This is why I stick with reputable brands, my reputation is on the line too.

This is right off their site:
1707317722690.png

Modern Ink Signs

Premium Subscriber
As others have said 3M/Avery would be my go to to start.

As far as cost goes…..
Figure out how much material you are going to need add your margin. Then figure out how many hours it will take you to do. Multiply that by your labor rate. Add those 2 numbers together and PRESTO! There is what YOU should charge for this job.

In my opinion boats suck! Lol…. I’ve done a bunch over the years but not anymore. Now I just say No.