• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Some direction on how to replace a linear bearing on SP540i

ml4cs

I have read a few threads, mostly older ones, about replacing a linear (L) bearing on Roland printers. The L bearing on the Cutter module is bad, it runs 4-8ish hours and then needs to be lubed up again, makes a grinding/train track click-clack sound when running to the left. No problems and silence when running back to the right. When it seizes up I get the scan motor 40-40 error, only locks up during cutting, never during printing

I was able to find the part on digiprint getting here Tuesday, my question is how easy is this to do? and how? From what I gather I can remove the cutter carriage from the current L bearing but then how to get it off? looks like I might be able to slide it all the way off to the left, there is a plastic stopper with a screw in it but after inspecting looks like that might come off and then the bearing could just slide off and new one slide on.

Anyone have any other tips or tricks here? I have replaced a lot of parts on this old girl and she keeps running like a champ but I can't find any youtube videos or step by steps on how to do this.

Scott at Roland

Hi ml4cs - I can't say that I have replaced the linear bearings on this model. I have done this replacement on other models in the past. But I wanted to tell you a couple things I would check before replacing the bearing.
First thing, before taking it all apart - please make sure that the issue is not your scan motor assembly or belt. The two things to do - first try lubricating the carriage belt. You can do a test with 3 in 1 oil to see if you get improvement, but will need to find something more durable for the long run since 3 in 1 will dry out too fast. Roland does sell something called "Floil Grease" specifically for lubricating this assembly. You can probably get it from a local dealer.
Second thing to check - try disconnecting your scan motor and running the carriage assembly along the rail freely. Sometimes the issue turns out being the scan motor making the noise and it resonates down through the rail.
In my experience, while the bearing can turn out to be the problem, I have found it more common for one of the above factors to cause the noise.
Hope this helps!

ml4cs

Scott, thanks for the reply. Yes, I initially thought scan motor, so I removed the motor to prep for new one and it still wouldn't slide. So then I went to the belts, went back and forth adjusted tightened adjusted and nothing still issues sliding. Then I called the guys at solventinkjet for some advice he mentioned possibly the bearing which I had never thought of(but my wife had mentioned it). I sprayed a little silicone lubricant and it was like magic, no noise and it was just gliding. After about a 6-8 hour run it froze up again but only during cutting, I pulled the cutting carriage away from the print head carriage and noticed the difference in how they were sliding, print head carriage glides silently, cut head carriage not so much so I believe it is the L bearing on the cut head only. Thanks for the feedback everything helps

hybriddesign

owner Hybrid Design
I don’t think it’s even covered in the service manual but if you just start by taking off the top and then the left side cover and just taking piece by piece off until you can slide the cutter module off I don’t think it’s that bad. Sometimes the print head carriage is kind of spring loaded so that’s harder to take off but if it’s the cutter you can likely do it yourself. The new bearings are pre lubricated and I’ve always wondered if 3in1 oil etc will hurt the factory lube.

like others mentioned it’s usually the scan motor but if you’ve already swapped that with a brand new one the bearing is next

Mantaworld

I run several older SP-540V machines and used to have a similar problem. I started using a silicone lubricant and it cleared right up. I now make a practice of lubricating the bearings every 4 months and have not had a problem since. I place a small amount of this lubricant on the upper and lower side of the rail....on both sides of the bearing location...and then slide the cutter or head over the lubricant several times and you will feel when it gets loose....I get the silicone from a garage door company as it is the same lubricant they use to lubricate the bars that the door opener slides on....I have attached a photo of the packaging it come in...perhaps try this?!

Attachments

• Silicone.jpg
    Silicone.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 166

ml4cs

I have lubricated this one multiple times, It just limps along, locks up every 6-8 hours of run time, re-lube it and it goes back to work for 6-8 hours 10 if I am lucky. I am backed up about 20 hours worth of jobs right now on this machine as it was down a few days and then failed a few overnight runs

It makes a rough noise and vibration when it runs or when I manually move the cutter head carriage back and forth. Doesnt glide like the print head carriage. I have the replacement part coming today, Just want to see if anyone had any tips on how to replace with as little taking things apart as possible. I think I can remove the cut head carriage from the L bearing with a few bolts on the front, then slide bearing all the way to the left to remove, looks like might be a bolt with a stopper/safety on the left end that might need to come off before removing the bearing but that's it as far as I can tell

Scott at Roland

Just remember - the head carriage is "passive" - meaning it isn't directly connected to the motor. The tool carriage connects to the belt - then to the motor. So unless you disconnect the scan motor from the pulley, moving the tool carriage alone may still feel rough from the motor itself.
Don't mean to beat a dead horse, but I want to make sure you don't go through the hassle of replacing parts unless it's needed.

ml4cs

Scott, Thanks for the insight it definitely helps, I ordered a new motor as well so I will go part by part replacing and testing to see what truly is the culprit here

ml4cs

Got the L bearing on yesterday, easier than I thought. basically 3 bolts to take it off, slide on new bearing, put the bolts back and then print cut alignment. Glides like a dream now and super quiet. I put a small amount of silicone lubricant on the carriage belt as well just in case and its now been running 12hrs straight with no issues. Thanks for the tips I appreciate all the insight. It's tough I am in Las Vegas and there is not currently a Roland Tech anyone is aware of so I have been on my own for the 1.5yrs that I have had this machine and this forum has been a godsend.