• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Some things won't combine in Corel

Andy D

I'm using Corel 2020, but I have had this issue with other versions too...
Every one in a while, I will have objects that won't combine correctly,
I check to make sure all of the objects are closed & that there isn't multiple of the same
objects sitting on top of each other, & again, this only happens once in a great while.
Below is a screen shot of a design a friend with a router asked me to create, top is wireframe and
bottom is combined. Any Ideas?

upload_2021-1-29_8-34-57.png

Andy D

Yep, that fixed it.
Is there a quicker way than having to do that on every object that doesn't combine?

ChaseO

Premium Subscriber
I double click to edit the nodes, then select one node and reverse path in the toolbar. It takes about 3 seconds, but yes, they are combined, they just don't appear to be. I normally see this when importing things from Adobe. The main thing to watch out for (especially when using someone else's file that may have several layers of the same object, normally with different outlines).is that you aren't accidentally combining multiple objects. Also, if you have a lot of objects that don't show up, reverse the path on one of the outside nodes and it will usually fix all of the objects. .

myront

CorelDRAW is best
Made myself a little macro that helps but still not full proof.

Sub CombineUltra()
Dim s As Shape, n As Node, sr As ShapeRange, crv As Curve, sp As SubPath
For Each s In ActiveSelection.Shapes
If s.Type = cdrCurveShape Then
If s.FillMode = cdrFillWinding Then
s.FillMode = cdrFillAlternate
Else
s.FillMode = cdrFillWinding
End If
End If
Next s
DoEvents
ActiveSelection.Combine
End Sub

54warrior

Made myself a little macro that helps but still not full proof.

Sub CombineUltra()
Dim s As Shape, n As Node, sr As ShapeRange, crv As Curve, sp As SubPath
For Each s In ActiveSelection.Shapes
If s.Type = cdrCurveShape Then
If s.FillMode = cdrFillWinding Then
s.FillMode = cdrFillAlternate
Else
s.FillMode = cdrFillWinding
End If
End If
Next s
DoEvents
ActiveSelection.Combine
End Sub

How does one learn how to do this^^^ I"ve been paying a fella from India to make custom macros for me.

jwlllpl

You can use the pick tool to select, then use pick tool to draw a box around combined nodes to highlight them. Right click on one of the highlighted arrow nodes and click on reverse sub path. This works for me without doing one node at a time. Not sure about the 2020 version but worth a try.

myront

CorelDRAW is best
How does one learn how to do this^^^ I"ve been paying a fella from India to make custom macros for me.

Using Macro Editor
Looking at codes from existing macros. Copy/paste codes, sometimes recording macros helps too. Once you get a little understanding how they work you can create your own. Asking a lot of questions here. Google etc., Macro Editor help menu, the editor also drop hints as to what your next code should be.

Last edited:

Vohaul

I'm using Corel 2020, but I have had this issue with other versions too...
Every one in a while, I will have objects that won't combine correctly,
I check to make sure all of the objects are closed & that there isn't multiple of the same
objects sitting on top of each other, & again, this only happens once in a great while.
Below is a screen shot of a design a friend with a router asked me to create, top is wireframe and
bottom is combined. Any Ideas?

View attachment 151824
another thing that will sometimes work is doing a bondary shape around the pieces that dont work....

although now that i know tghe reverse subpath trick....i might be wiser:)

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
This exact same problem drove me nuts for years until someone on the Corel forums told me about reversing subpaths.

msenjur

i dont know why corel doesnt fix this?

it is known bug for over 5 years.

What doest direction of nodes even matter? when is that usable?

Andy D

This happened to me today, so I decided to make an extensive walk through for my sales guys so they could quit bugging me.
I'm guessing that instruction is for AI, correct?
For Corel, it would be "Garbage - Combine - Profit" worked great, but I just found out you have to select the copy 1st, then the BG before you combine.

Andy D

Well that shape was already combined in the left 'garbage' panel. Combining does not actually change the subpath direction. But if you take a combined object, and draw a square over it, then do an intersect on the two objects, the new object will have all of the subpaths running the proper direction. Download that pdf and try it!
Understood, but what I was saying is my original art wasn't combining correctly because I used the pick tool, and pulled a box around the box and copy, which selected the BG 1st.
In the image below, both are combined, but on the right, I selected all the copy 1st and then the BG second

1621444586240.png

Andy D

. I wonder if the newer corel helps with this,
Nope, I'm on 2020

Or maybe yep... tried what, the combining?

When your instructions say "intersect", do you mean "Intersect Target"? (button show below)?
That work also.
1621456361029.png

Last edited:

msenjur

So for me it's critical. I use corel and CNC lots of stuff. Directionality on a curve indicates if it is an inside or outside piece, along with which direction the cutter will travel. Most router bits have a superior cut on one side or the other when cutting. Most of my belin upcut bits require the bit to travel clockwise around the part.
It's not a bug, and it's been around since punch cards, it's just that some folks are not educated in the proper way to build files, and for the print industry for the most part, it doesn't even matter. Instead of combining two pieces to get a void on a white background to get a white area, you could just color the vector white and go home, which plenty of folks do.

yeah, and corel draw is mostly use in print industry.

for vinyl cutting that is not a solution, when im selecting different colors.

ok, atleast, now i understand why direction matters.

Big Rice Field

Electrical/Architectural Sign Designer
yeah, and corel draw is mostly use in print industry.

for vinyl cutting that is not a solution, when im selecting different colors.

ok, atleast, now i understand why direction matters.
IMHO Corel still is better for the sign industry than Illustrator.