• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

SP-540V Ink..tastrophe!!

So today, I go to start printing more signs as I landed my biggest job so far for 125 18x24 full color signs :) yesterday all was well but had to leave to go attempt my first sled wrap...that didn't happen due to other issues. Anyhow, start printing today and no red...ok so the magenta must be clogged, do a few cleanings still no luck. OK headwash, complete the wash reload the ink and it's pumping up again filling the ink... all of a sudden I notice red ink dropping into the floor, drip drip, then it starts running all over my flatbed scanner that is on a small table just under that side of the printer next to my desk... OH @#$& I say, hit the power button and nothing...ink going everywhere...finally had to flip the switch!

Now it looks like someone was murdered in the basement...I yell up to my counter part to inform her of the issue and we start dismantling the cover to get at the ink before it dries. As we get in there we noticed it all came from the pump just in front of where the cap station is. The hoses literally sit right over the gears and it looks as though the magenta,yellow flush line pinched in the gears and actually cut the hose!! After closer inspection the black/blue line has wear marks from the same thing but it hasn't cut it yet...

Is it just me or is there some serious lack of design/planning on Rolands part putting those hoses in such a close config. with the gears???

Has this happened to anyone else? Now theres freakin ink everywhere...cleaned up what we could but in the process it made a nasty mess and ruined a scanner. I had to turn the printer back on to get the heads capped and then cut power once they were on the heads in hopes of protecting it until tomorrow when we can call to have someone come.

Any ideas, or info...anyone seen this happen before??

bummed to say the least, and can't wait to see what the bill to fix this will be :(

Former member

I dont know how long you have had your printer, but if its about two years or so, there is actually a redesigned pump for the 540 that is retro fit to solve this problem. In my case, my sales rep called me on this before I had the problem,( I'm really lucky in regards to this) They came out and replaced the part for free, just labor cost which was only about 15 min. Ask whoever sold you the printer about the fix. But there is a newly designed part for this problem. Hope this helps.
-Rich

Printer is a used one and that is good to know...too bad it failed before I knew this.

Thanks for the info! I will def. let them know when I call tomorrow :)

woolly

yes its a pain not the best design, i have not seen the new design yet but should be a fast improvement.

if you stay with the older ones keep one in stock, and when you do your weekly clean, check that pipe work.

woolly