• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Sprinter Decal

Rat_Fink

I need to make a printed reflective decal to fit in the large indentation on this 2022 sprinter.
If anyone has done this - is it best to purchase an outline for this model and just scale up? Is it accurate enough to design and fit exact?
Thanks for any info!

Attachments

• JEM Van.jpg
    JEM Van.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 301

Stacey K

I like making signs
They are pretty accurate but you can make your own from this great photo you took if you are able to measure it! Typically I use the templates and then I also measure.

In this case measure the height at three points, I'm guessing it should be the same but just make sure. Then put a box in your computer with that height and the width from the top corners and bottom corners.

To get the angle just right, you can take a big piece of paper and trace the vertical lines maybe 12" in on both top and bottom then add some measurement lines, take a pic and upload it to the program. Then you just need to adjust the width. Then you can put that box on top this photo and get those corners just perfect!

Or you can get it pretty close and print the box an inch or so larger and trim it. That's more work.

jfiscus

Rap Master
Unfortunately I do not have this exact template. Our installers here do those by hand trimming or in this case would just put down knifeless tape before installation.
Use a PVO template and give it about 2" bleed and 1-2" inset all around and it'll be gravy.

jfiscus

Rap Master
Wouldn't that be a real PITA with reflective instead of traditional wrap film? Something about not dragging the adhesive backer of the reflective across the surface. IDK, never handled any of the wrap grade reflectives.
I can't see any need to "drag" anything anywhere? Knifeless tape works great with reflective and specialty films for the most part.

ikarasu

We use knifeless all the time with reflective, specifically 3m 580 / 780. Works great!

Sounds like op just wants to print a decal such as "Jo Jo's handyman services, blah blah blah" and make it fit inside of the indent so you're not going over the hump?

In that case a online template from pvo is accurate enough. You may want to give yourself half inch wiggle room top and bottom to make sure you're not going over the hump.... Plus you don't wa t to end right on the edge, it's better to leave some space so the text can be read.

If you're after a full coverage decal... As mentioned buy a roll of knifeless tape, add an inch bleed on each side and just knifeless it. It'll be much more cleaner and accurate than pre cutting the full coverage to size.

(Edit) also, if you've had issues with reflectives and knifeless tape... There's a special version of knifeless.meant for the thicker materials. Trying to use bridge line or something might not work the best... But their precision cut works great.

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/p/d/b00033800/

WB

I 2nd Knifeless tape. I do fleet graphics for a company they only use the window spaces side and rear for their logo. I just lay the tape down over size the graphics and then trim.