• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Start Welding?

rdm01

Hello,
We typically outsource our metal work to a fab shop. They closed their doors a while back, and we've been unsuccessful in finding a place to send our metal work. I've contemplated handling some of the easier metal work in-house. I've welded in the past, as have some of our employees.

However, I've never brought on the capability from a managerial standpoint, and don't know what is required from an OSHA standpoint. I can handle getting the proper PPE, but are there other items needed to "legally" handle some welding and metal cutting?

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
PPE, equipment guards, properly capped and stored tanks, no oxy/acet bottles together, possibly fume extraction and respiratory protection (I never see anyone use it except on plasma tables), welding shields/curtains to protect other workers and keep flammables away. There's probably more but I think its pretty basic stuff.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
ELECTRICAL:

Make sure your service panel is capable of handling your electrical needs, and that it is properly grounded. Don't settle for a rinky little 110v welder with a 10% duty cycle, invest in a industrial-rated welder.

JB