• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Streaks in Frosted Window Film

Not sure if this is the correct area to post this, but I just installed my first frosted window film with cut graphics. This was done in our shop for practice. After we took the masking off we noticed there is white streaks going across parts of the film. It is extra noticeable when light is shinning through it. It looks like it was scratched by the squeegee, but I was using the felt side, and it was applied with masking over it. Any ideas how to get rid of this / prevent it from happening again for a real job? Material used was Mactac B-Free Frosted, done as a dry install. Only used a 3M Gold Squeegee. No heat was applied.

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 770

Browner

The B-Free from Mactac needs to be applied dry. It’s got air egress channels in it. I would think uneven force/pressure on the squeegee is your issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jayefkay531

We almost exclusively use bfree frost. Similar to a wet install, streaking does come out eventually even on a dry install. We exclusively do this dry as well, both full block out and cut graphics

We almost exclusively use bfree frost. Similar to a wet install, streaking does come out eventually even on a dry install. We exclusively do this dry as well, both full block out and cut graphics
Is there any way to speed up getting these streaks out? I contacted my Mactac sales rep and they said to try a felt squeegee. I tried another test install today, with that felt squeegee, and it was worse. It's like every single squeegee stroke leaves a mark, no matter how hard or soft I press. Attached are pictures from my new test install today.

Attachments

• 20210524_201015.jpg
    20210524_201015.jpg
    725.3 KB · Views: 454
  • 20210524_201021.jpg
    20210524_201021.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 370
  • 20210524_201024.jpg
    20210524_201024.jpg
    943.4 KB · Views: 373
  • 20210524_201033.jpg
    20210524_201033.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 447

msenjur

i would put glove on, turn on the fan heater and heat these streaks. Maybe harder squeegee would left less of them...

eventualy it will go away anyway... leave one window as it is for 14 days and see...

that is Rapid Air glue... i get same results with transparent RA, i dont really worry about that... usually heater solves it...

Jayefkay531

Is there any way to speed up getting these streaks out? I contacted my Mactac sales rep and they said to try a felt squeegee. I tried another test install today, with that felt squeegee, and it was worse. It's like every single squeegee stroke leaves a mark, no matter how hard or soft I press. Attached are pictures from my new test install today.

Many of those are from the edge of the squeegee semi-scraping either due to uneven pressure or where you bridged the vinyl taught. Try to keep a little more slack. Similar to what msenjur said, heat will help to dissipate faster, but it does usually take 1-2 weeks to fully go away.

Also - I only use a felt squeegee on it if there's no masking/transfer tape. If it's taped, I use a golden squeegee with a pull/overhand stroke.

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
It will go away over time. If it is warm or in the sun, it may take a day. If it's cold it could take up to a week. If you look closely you can see it with cut vinyl from the backside.

Your pictures are on the extreme side. It looks like a majority of the marks are from the tip of your squeegee. Try using lighter and even pressure across the squeegee instead of focusing the pressure toward the tip as you turn. The rest of the marks look like you were bearing down trying to force air bubbles out. The air channels can only dissipate the air so fast. When you apply a lot of pressure and try and push the air out, you end up pushing the bubble. As you do this, the vinyl in front of the bubble lifts bruising the adhesive. Next time try light pressure on the bubble with a finger and the air will slowly escape. If it's big, divide it into smaller bubbles with your finger, starting in the center. (this technique keeps you from pushing all the air to one side and leaving a wave of extra vinyl that turns into a wrinkle)

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
It will go away over time. If it is warm or in the sun, it may take a day. If it's cold it could take up to a week. If you look closely you can see it with cut vinyl from the backside.

Your pictures are on the extreme side. It looks like a majority of the marks are from the tip of your squeegee. Try using lighter and even pressure across the squeegee instead of focusing the pressure toward the tip as you turn. The rest of the marks look like you were bearing down trying to force air bubbles out. The air channels can only dissipate the air so fast. When you apply a lot of pressure and try and push the air out, you end up pushing the bubble. As you do this, the vinyl in front of the bubble lifts bruising the adhesive. Next time try light pressure on the bubble with a finger and the air will slowly escape. If it's big, divide it into smaller bubbles with your finger, starting in the center. (this technique keeps you from pushing all the air to one side and leaving a wave of extra vinyl that turns into a wrinkle)

Pewter0000

Graphic Design | Production
We get these occasionally too, with out metascape egress etch. It will settle down over a week or two.

evansgrafx

Not sure if this is the correct area to post this, but I just installed my first frosted window film with cut graphics. This was done in our shop for practice. After we took the masking off we noticed there is white streaks going across parts of the film. It is extra noticeable when light is shinning through it. It looks like it was scratched by the squeegee, but I was using the felt side, and it was applied with masking over it. Any ideas how to get rid of this / prevent it from happening again for a real job? Material used was Mactac B-Free Frosted, done as a dry install. Only used a 3M Gold Squeegee. No heat was applied.
I had that problem quite a few years ago with Avery etch film. Turned out it was a bad run of vinyl. They replaced it.