• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Sublimation Printers

Signscorp

We've got a sublimation printer from Amazon here in our shop. We've made lots of nametags for customers over time and we need to be able to keep supplying them.

However the Amazon one was like $150 and is really inconsistent. Does anyone have a desktop sublimation printer they like using?

4DPB

Just buy and Epson small format sublimation printer. Not a repurposed one but one designed for sublimation. I wish they made them years ago. You are lucky they are available now.

T Nichols

We started with the Epson XP-15000 (converted), terrible. Ink capacities, if you use cartridges, super small. Clogs constantly. Tried a few brands of ink. Switched to the Ecotank ET16600 (only 13" in all of Central Florida on that weekend!) during a big job. Huge difference. Have not had to clean the heads yet. Wish it were a little faster, but consistent and trouble free. Probably get the Epson 24" F570 next.

razken

We at RazKen (https://www.razken.ca) started with converted Epson WF-7710, then WF-7720, but now we switched to Epson F570 and we have two of them.
If you are a start-up business, you may start with a converted printer, but as others have mentioned that you would get used to head clogs!

horseflesh

Just this week I got my sublimation setup running.

The Epson purpose-made sublimation printers f170 and f570 appear to be excellent choices with easy color management, affordable supplies, and good reliability. Unfortunately, the f170 has a maximum print size of just 8.5" x 14". The big brother f570 is a $2500 110 lb 24" monster. There's no Epson purpose-made sublimation printer in between those sizes. Also, I only have a 15" x 15" heat press so the enormous print area of the f570 is wasted on me until I upgrade the press, too.

I ended up choosing the ET-15000, an Ecotank printer with a maximum print size of 13" x 19". I'm using 3rd party inks and paper--a few good ones seem to be available but I chose InkOwl. My research has suggested that this is a pretty reliable combination. Cartridge-based printers are apparently much more of a hassle when converted. We'll see how it goes.

So far it's pretty cool. After years of weeding vinyl and thinking about designs with few colors, being able to transfer full color onto various surfaces... with no weeding... feels like cheating. Lots of cool blanks are available.

These are just my first tests, clip art on cheap neoprene coasters. My color settings are off, still working on that.

1660410839118.png

I was really surprised at the level of detail. Very cool.

1660411182383.png

garyroy

Really nice, looks good. Have you figured out how to make money doing it? Looks like a very small item for sale.

hybriddesign

owner Hybrid Design
congrats! Sublimation does feel like magic when you first start with it.

Have you checked out t-shirt forums? You’ll find more small scale sublimation people over there than here.

The hardest thing with 3rd party inks is dialing in your colors but sure are cheap. If you keep going and like the printer you may want to pick up a second one as a back up so you can swap over if it dies as the heads usually go pretty quick.

Have you checked out condenser, Johnson plastics, coastal business etc for blanks?

designedlyfe

I started with a converted 7710, then 7720 and then F570. I haven’t had many clogs over the years. I run the 7720 next to the F570.

The F570 didn’t match my 7720 out the box until I ditched the Epson sub paper. Once I went to Texprint paper, I finally loved the printer.

horseflesh

Really nice, looks good. Have you figured out how to make money doing it? Looks like a very small item for sale.

Not yet, but I live in a wine tourism area which offers some good possibilities. I am just learning the basics of the gear right now and looking for promising blanks.

congrats! Sublimation does feel like magic when you first start with it.

Have you checked out t-shirt forums? You’ll find more small scale sublimation people over there than here.

The hardest thing with 3rd party inks is dialing in your colors but sure are cheap. If you keep going and like the printer you may want to pick up a second one as a back up so you can swap over if it dies as the heads usually go pretty quick.

Have you checked out condenser, Johnson plastics, coastal business etc for blanks?

Yes to all of that! T-shirt Forums is a nice place but the sublimation area is not very busy, unfortunately.

Condenser and Coastal are new to me but I have stuff on the way from JPP already.

I started with a converted 7710, then 7720 and then F570. I haven’t had many clogs over the years. I run the 7720 next to the F570.

The F570 didn’t match my 7720 out the box until I ditched the Epson sub paper. Once I went to Texprint paper, I finally loved the printer.

Good to know, thanks. I have seen a few other people that love TexPrint.

comp56

not gonna lie the Epson F-series F170 or the F570 are great printers out of the box with crazy good color profiles for hard or soft surface printing. I do use A-sub 125g paper however with genuine Epson sublimation inks and the F170 is limited to 8.5 x 47" if that helps not just 8.5" x 14"

sublitechpro

I am looking to start sublimation business more precily exporting custom sublimation wear but due to many different advises I am confused which sublimation printer will work well for commercial level.
Sublimation printing has gained immense popularity for its ability to create vibrant and long-lasting prints on various surfaces. Whether you’re a hobbyist, a small business owner, or an aspiring designer, investing in the right sublimation printer can significantly improve your print quality.

However, with many options available in the market, finding the perfect sublimation printer for beginners can be pretty overwhelming. To simplify this process, we have meticulously researched and compiled a list of the top 8 best sublimation printers for beginners in 2023.

sublitechpro

I am looking to start sublimation business more precily exporting custom sublimation wear but due to many different advises I am confused which sublimation printer will work well for commercial level.
Starting a sublimation business is an exciting venture that allows you to combine creativity and entrepreneurship. This printing method involves using heat to transfer dye onto various materials, resulting in high-quality, durable, and vibrant images.

From custom apparel to personalized mugs, the possibilities are endless. In this comprehensive guide, we’ll walk you through the essential steps of How to start a successful sublimation business.

Whether you’re a creative enthusiast or an aspiring entrepreneur, this guide will provide you with the knowledge and insights you need to kickstart your journey.