• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Suggestions for a plotter for very small business

VicoDrive

Im considering getting a plotter to create vinyl decals with for a small business. Probably more of an Etsy thing to start and some local gigs if Im lucky. Currently I use a high end Roland Soljet Pro XC-540 printer/plotter at work which I LOVE but its out of my price range to have at home. Not really looking for a printer either, just wanting to cut vinyl. Not wanting a scrapbooking style cutter like you find at Michael's either. I need to be able to connect it to a computer. Im just looking for suggestions for models right now that are not overly expensive and hopefully can take atleast a 24" roll

What's your price range?

There are almost always a few older descent name brand machines on ebay. I don't recommend buying one without being able to see it operate. So keep your search within a safe driving radius.

~Chris

VicoDrive

Im not really sure honestly, kind of playing it by ear. Maybe $1000? Really rather not go that high unless I have to though

OldPaint

and your buying a cutter for what BUSINESS???? or is because the sign shops you call charge to much???

nashvillesigns

Making America great, one sign at a time.
if i could find one, it would be a gerber HS15 plus.
we did 300,000 is sales on one year with that machine back in 1993.
-mosher

VicoDrive

it seems like he works at a sign shop, but wants a personal cutter...

yes, I work at a printing company. signs are a real small part which we fell into and I pretty much deal with. the owner isnt letting it grow as much as I likefor it to (and im really into it!) so I figurw I could do my own thing from home for some side cash. with any luck, he will let me order supplies at the same cost through them at wholesale through Harbor

I'd be very cautious about getting your boss to order material for your side business. You need to establish your own relationships and set up your own accounts with vendors. He might be a great guy but a little misunderstanding over what material is for you and what material for him can definitely cause some bad feelings.

Also if you are working on his time, you really shouldn't be using it to conduct your business.

Just my two cents,
Chris

VicoDrive

I'd be very cautious about getting your boss to order material for your side business. You need to establish your own relationships and set up your own accounts with vendors. He might be a great guy but a little misunderstanding over what material is for you and what material for him can definitely cause some bad feelings.

Also if you are working on his time, you really shouldn't be using it to conduct your business.

Just my two cents,
Chris

I wouldnt be sneaky, I would tell him exactly the reasons. I feel the problem with doing signstuff there is he doesnt fully understand everything that goes into each job, he thinks its more work and trouble than it really is. im still learning and have learned a lot but want to do more and be challenged a bit.. dont know anything about getting tax IDs and everything to create a business acct with a distributor or if its nessary if im just selling on etsy for the most part. but would like o get supplies as cheap as I can for now

royster13

GCC Expert Pro 24 for just under 1,000.00

Or a 15" Graphtec for 1,200.00....

Or really cheap but will do what you need a Cameo Silhouette less than 300.00

s.hack

I bought the GGC Expert 24 a few months ago. Works great. Easy to set up and get working. If 24" is enough for you I highly recommend it.