• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Summa D140 and Onyx10 - markers exceed media size error

Ditto

Hi everyone, any ideas what would cause an error saying the OPOS marks exceed the media size? I've printed and cut other jobs using the same size illustrator art boards and media (Arlon Dpf8000 and 3590 laminate) The print looks fine, the marks are definitely on the sheet and the cut file preview looks fine too. But I couldn't get the cutter to register the first mark?

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
I'm not familiar with your particular piece of equipment, but my experience shows that's usually because the outer-most pinch roller isn't far enough outside the target for the sensors to "see" it. If you can move them out a bit, it might help.

Ditto

Thanks GAsouthpaw, I was wondering if that would make a difference and made sure the pinch rollers were at the sheet edges. I also gave up cutting the problem print, cut another same size print and went back to the trouble maker but still the same issue. I'm thinking it must be something to do with the cut file or how close the graphics are to the edge of the sheet, which I didn't think we're too close. Clutching at straws really, I just didn't want to waste time and material ending up with the same issue on other jobs

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
I've found that (if moving the pinch rollers still doesn't work) I can "trick" my Mimaki (and the Graphtec I ran before it) by putting the outer pinch rollers off the sheet (both of those plotters have four pinch rollers) and using just two to hold the print. That way, the sensor has no problem (on both of those machines, the plotter looks for the outermost pinch rollers to determine the size of the material, instead of the material itself).
Anyway, good luck!

Bly

Try using the "extended load" function so the plotter uses the whole width of media.

jerry369

Hi everyone, any ideas what would cause an error saying the OPOS marks exceed the media size?

please, verify to "Leave a margin of at least 8cm (3.15in) following the print when using sheets or when cutting the print off a roll" as reported by OPOS manual.

Ditto

please, verify to "Leave a margin of at least 8cm (3.15in) following the print when using sheets or when cutting the print off a roll" as reported by OPOS manual.
Thanks jerry369 I did trim the excess off the print but it was within the specs in the manual. I think the extended load suggestion will be the answer but I gave up and reprinted the sheet slightly differently (before reading the extended load suggestion) but if it happens again I have some ideas to try.
thanks for taking the time to offer some help, much appreciated!

Ditto

For what it's worth, here is the finished product. You more experienced guys will be able to pick it apart but for my first go at designing and making my own graphics kit I'm pretty happy with the result. It's a bit of a play on the 6 day version KTM make to go with a local 2 day desert race at Indee station I'll be riding in next weekend

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 536

Lounge

I have the hp latex315 print and cut combo. Which I believe is a Summa. Just had the same issue, but my printed job is not too wide. It only tries to read the first mark. I have ran this same job before no problem. It is small but what if I was running a job on expensive reflective material. So determined to solve the issue incase it occurred again I did some research and good old fashion trial and error. WHAT WORKED... Turning it off, lifting rollers, moving all rollers and putting them back.

RICHARD SIMMONS

Hi everyone, any ideas what would cause an error saying the OPOS marks exceed the media size? I've printed and cut other jobs using the same size illustrator art boards and media (Arlon Dpf8000 and 3590 laminate) The print looks fine, the marks are definitely on the sheet and the cut file preview looks fine too. But I couldn't get the cutter to register the first mark?
Sometimes it happens that the optical reader does not read the mark when the print is on glossy material. I have a D140SE, and when I print glossy, the cutter doesn't read those dots. What I do is cut some small squares in matte black vinyl, and I place them on top of the printed ones. So it start reading the points

Goatshaver

The head won't read past the two outermost rollers, so if those rollers are inside of the OPOS registration marks you'll get that error. Also could use the entended load feature, but I haven't used that before.

rhill

I was recently having this same issue with Summa S2 T140 and came to notice I was needing more paper space on the top edge. I was cutting to close to the Reg marks and not leaving enough paper for the rollers to catch

Pideas

I just ran into this same issue on my Summa. The issue was not the margins on the left and right edges (I only left about 5/8") but it was on the top and bottom edges. I only gave it about an inch of space and it was not enough space. Since I had already printed the job, I just taped an additional two inches of paper to the top and bottom of the sheet as a workaround and it worked fine.