• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Summa D140R Error In Y Axis

daenterpri

Alrighty, I've had a SummaCut Series D140R cutter for the last 2.5 years. The last 2 months, I've been getting an "Error In Y Axis" error every 3-5 opus cut jobs. I've been on the phone with Summa a few times about this issue and we can't figure it out. It isn't consistent, the motors and pulleys all appear to be tight and the cutter cuts really well. It does it with both Winplot and Flexi Opus print/cut jobs.

Any ideas? It's been really puzzling to Summa since it's not like it happens every time. However, it almost always happens within 5 print/cut jobs. It's kind of an annoying problem when I'm trying to get production out the door.

Thanks for the help!

FrankW

Perhaps the plotter don't like that it's OPOS-System is named Opus, and because of this the plotter sometimes strikes ;) .

Just kidding ... I had sometimes (I'm a technician doing Summa repairs) that the OPOS-Sensor snaps out of his position (it is just snapped in his holder), for example when pushing vinyl hardly against it during loading. This could lead to that the OPOS-Sensor crashes against a pinch roller holder, what leads to a Y-Motor-Error.

Often the OPOS-Sensor could be easily snapped back, but sometimes the snap points are damaged, so the Sensor needs to be replaced.

If this happen the next time, switch the plotter off and move the cutting head by hand. If the cutting head hangs near a pinch roller position, then you know your problem.

daenterpri

Thanks Frank!

I forgot to leave out one big piece of information. It always happens right after it finds all the registration marks. The cutting head moves to the right to lift up the opus, and it goes into a Y Axis error. It almost looks as if it's hit the far right wall. But like I said, we took it apart a little bit and everything is tight on it. And it cuts accurately. :(

FrankW

Thats strange. Specially because a moving OPOS (!)-Sensor will have influence in the cutting accuracy. No further idea at this point.

MikeD

I just had a puzzling problem with one of our S-75 plotters. Like your issue, it had no obvious clues. After backing up the user settings and backing up the tool properties and coil settings, it was set to factory default settings and the problem went away. You may want to speak with one of their techs about resetting yours. One of the best aspects of Summa is their ability to remote onto your system to help you out.

gabagoo

I have a d140 and I have never seen the opos lift up on its own. I don't get Y axis issues, but I find after cutting a few jobs that it refuses to find registration marks and usually a reboot solves the problem. if it still persists, I shut everything down and reboot. The cutter is a good machine, but the standing and waiting for the reader to determine where to cut can drive me crazy at times.

Rayd8

This is an ooooooold thread but i just wanted to add to this thread some extra info, just in case anyone encauters the same issue as i did and a possible solution that worked for me: i had exactly this same error happening with a D120R and using flexiprint. Solution for me was to play with opos settings setting it to force xy
Hth