• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

summa d60 drivers

Mattyc

Hi Guys

My first post, I have a customer who uses the above cutter for memorial headstones, using the cutter to cut sandblaster stencils and a little bit of vinyl work

We have the methods of usb and serial available to us as connection methods

the customer users letterart (9.6) that we have just upgraded, Letter art ouputs to the cutter via looking for a plotter called "plot1" and I can get it to intermittently output using serial, I have a feeling that summa cutter control program that is used to set the pen pressure fights over the com port with letter art as one or the other will randomly stop working until a reboot (note this all worked fine on an old 98 machine)

I discovered the cutter had usb a while ago so tried that, the cutter control works flawlessly, but the USB driver that Summa supplies just creates a usb port under usb devices, it does not give you a driver that you can map to a device, which is what I need to do to enable letter art to output to a device that i will rename to "plot1"

Im guessing that someone out there must have come across this issue, I have spoken to letter art ( who were quite helpful even though its not their problem ) and Summa (who weren't of much help)

Please help!
cheers

dclet

I have a feeling that summa cutter control program that is used to set the pen pressure fights over the com port with letter art as one or the other will randomly stop working until a reboot

no, cutter control doesn't continuously send & grab data...only when told to do so. I bet it's a port setting....

As for Letter Art, I do not know much but is there a way to add devices (plotters), if so is Summa listed? or is it generic hpgl output? if so the summa usb is useless...

Mattyc

Hi there, Thanks for the reply

I have the port settings correct as far as I know, Letter Art just outputs to any device named "plot1", this is ok and if i setup a generic HPGL printer in printers and faxes it outputs, it does actually work, but the problem being is it stops at random times and the pc needs a restart to get it working again? PC is a dual core hp with 1gb of ram, i might try a bios update and see if that fixes it.

any other ideas?

dclet

Summa plotters by default us dmpl, you can change that to either hpgl or hpgl2 - (though the 3 are similiar dmpl is more robust and includes more commands) via the menu, or cutter control. If you are using the standard hpgl make the appropiate changes on the cutter including the origin.

I would really consider a change to a more functional application like Corel
with Summa's own Winplot plug in.

ah0607

I just got a Summa S160 T-series, and I'm looking for some advice on what kinds of materials I can use with this machine. I'm trying to figure out all the different things the machine can do, I just haven't had the time to try them out myself. So if any of you have some tips for me that would be great. :)