• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Summa S one - Flex cutting (die cutting) problems

stelmsk

Just got our first Summa S one 120. Everything worked great on our regular white vinyl (1 meter width). But then we tried to cut thicker and wider material with UV printing and it was horrible (photo is in attach). We tried everything: new knife, reduce speed, change thru-cut settings - nothing helped. It looks like the material is too wide and heavy for this type of cutting. But we still need to cut this type of stuff. I was wondering will the extra pinch roller (or two) will help with this type of issue? They cost about 600$ each, and before i buy one - i need to be sure that they worth it. We have only 3 pinch rollers now.
I also saw some threads with different Summa devices and same problems, but no answers.
P.s. Sorry if I made mistakes my english is not very good.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2021-11-12 at 11.44.48.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-11-12 at 11.44.48.jpeg
    140.5 KB · Views: 356

Goatshaver

What type of material and what's thickness of the material you're trying to cut?
It may be that you need to get the thick material holder and blade, but it all depends on the material you're trying to cut.

stelmsk

What type of material and what's thickness of the material you're trying to cut?
It may be that you need to get the thick material holder and blade, but it all depends on the material you're trying to cut.
It's actually not that thick - 90 μ (Vinyl EFX rainbow vinyl) + cmyk+w UV ink. I think problems are because it's wider (1,20 meter) then our regular material (1 meter) and 3 pinch rollers just not enough for flex-cut (everything perfect when we do kiss-cut).

Saturn

Aging Member
If you get down and watch closely at the surface of the material as the blade cuts it, does it deform or buckle a little as it cuts? The material should stay pretty much perfectly flat against the surface of the cutter, through a combination of good settings, the rollers, and the suction. If it's pushing the material around a little as it cuts, it's probably the blade digging a little too deep, or maybe not enough pinch rollers. This would definitely cause the cut to be off.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
What is your full pressure length, and what is your flex cut length? Not the force, but the length. Summa is mm....

stelmsk

If you get down and watch closely at the surface of the material as the blade cuts it, does it deform or buckle a little as it cuts? The material should stay pretty much perfectly flat against the surface of the cutter, through a combination of good settings, the rollers, and the suction. If it's pushing the material around a little as it cuts, it's probably the blade digging a little too deep, or maybe not enough pinch rollers. This would definitely cause the cut to be off.
Material definitely deforms, especially near pinch rollers.

Saturn

Aging Member
Just for ships and giggles you might try skipping the FlexCut and just doing 2-3 passes of a "regular" cut. (if you haven't already)

I would test this not with real jobs, but just a row of vinyl-only cuts. Go lighter on the pressure and slowly raise it until the second or third cut has the sticker popping out cleanly with a gentle push—They need to stay somewhat attached so the sheet doesn't lose it's integrity, but should be easy to pop out by hand once moved to a table.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
What Saturn said. You have to do a lot of testing to dial it in just right. Takes time to find that sweet spot.