• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Summa S2 T160 Knife Stuck

rdm01

Our Summa started cutting poorly so I went to unscrew and lift the knife. The holder came out, but the blade is stuck in the cutting head. I cannot get it out from below, and can no longer push the holder in to get it out through the top. Trying to get the silver part of the blade holder out yields no results either, as the blade that is loose in the head blocks it in.

Help?

Saturn

Aging Member
That's a toughie! I think I'd take a wooden skewer (maybe q-tip, or thin plastic rod) and try to wrap the first half inch or so in tape with the sticky side out and then try to drop it down the shaft alongside the blade and see if you could just barellllly get enough purchase to pull it out. You certainly don't want to bend or jam things worse. I would assume the blade will be toast after this at the very least.

rdm01

That's a toughie! I think I'd take a wooden skewer (maybe q-tip, or thin plastic rod) and try to wrap the first half inch or so in tape with the sticky side out and then try to drop it down the shaft alongside the blade and see if you could just barellllly get enough purchase to pull it out. You certainly don't want to bend or jam things worse. I would assume the blade will be toast after this at the very least.

I tried fishing a piece of wire down there with tape. That led to frustration.

After I resolved to no longer try to save the blade, I put a piece of styrene between the blade and the cutting strip and pressed the holder in with some force. After a few tries I got it to stick enough to get it out. Not fun.

FrankW

In this cases, you could try to magnetize a small screwdriver (just rub any magnet on the shaft) und pull the knife with that magnetic screwdriver out of the head.