• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Summa S2T 140 consistently poor print/cut

kffernandez

I suspect your workflow is introducing problems. Use different software. Not all software combinations will play nice together.

if you are using your rip to set up your print and cut files, it could be that your rip is buggy. I have seen it firsthand.

the upper left and right corners are spot on, so i am currently not suspecting a wrong length calibration. but a different software is worth a shot. will see if i can get my hands on some trial software that i can use to test for now.

kelly

Miftah

Hi

I just bought S2 TC160 about 3 weeks
And im having same issue.

Im using Roland to print and Onyx 19 as rip software.

Did you managed to solve the issue?

My Summa technician still troubleshooting this.

Hope to hear frm u guys soon!

balstestrat

Problem Solver
Hi

I just bought S2 TC160 about 3 weeks
And im having same issue.

Im using Roland to print and Onyx 19 as rip software.

Did you managed to solve the issue?

My Summa technician still troubleshooting this.

Hope to hear frm u guys soon!
And you are using Opos XY?

Saturn

Aging Member
Through repeated trial and error I found that my cuts were always more precise when the Summa had completed it's "weighing" operation on first loading a new roll or sheet. It will not always do this if the sheet is too short or the speed set too low. What I'm referring to as weighing is the little back-and-forth spasm it does while verifying a new material/load. One of the techs may have a better name for it.

When the machine didn't weigh things, cuts would be consistently off at the front and end of a job, but more accurate in the center.

I assume from what it sounds like you're running that things are being weighed, but you might check next time you load something that it does this little jig.

Saturn

Aging Member
It does happen during loading, but I don't think it's quite the same as just turning autoload on or off? What I'm referring to is that kind of jerky motion it does when first loading new material, and not only would the material be moving quickly back and forth, but the head does a little dance towards the center of the material too. If the material is not long enough, or the speed not high enough, it will not do what I'm describing. The reason I stumbled upon this issue is that I used to do a lot of shorter (36" long or less) sheets and this function would not kick in.

I kinda don't think it's what's at issue in this thread, but I know my cuts are much more precise if that weighing motion has completed initially—In fact I wish there was a place to set the parameters permanently as I really only use one stock and would love to see if changing whatever the default is had a positive effect.

Saturn

Aging Member
As I watch the machine load a short sheet vs a roll or longer sheet, the maneuvers are definitely different, so while they both may be part of the "autoload" there is a step in there that is not always done based on length and cut speed. The cut accuracy is noticeably better when this weighing sub-function is completed. My autoload is on and has never been off.

balstestrat

Problem Solver
The Autoload option enables the user to the change the unroll-procedure of the vinyl. When autoload is on, the cutter will automatically unroll the vinyl, when needed. When the autoload option is set off, the operator should manually unroll enough media before starting to cut.

That's that. It doesn't do any weighing or other voodoo stuff. There's also a short load function. And of course what it does it depends on the width and length of the material.

Its trying to unroll the amount of the width of the material.

Saturn

Aging Member
I can't argue with your experiences, but I can visibly tell the difference between how a 2' sheet loads, and how a 4' sheet loads. Maybe you never do really short sheets, which would totally be normal for a majority of shops.

Checking the weight is also mentioned on page 34 of this manual as part of the autoload process—"A simultaneous 45° axial move of the drive drum (sleeves) and cutting head to check the media weight." That's the part that, to me, equates with more accurate cuts. If I load something and it doesn't do that step, things are not quite as precise.

balstestrat

Problem Solver
Okay I see. I do wonder if it's just simply checking if it's too heavy rather than weighing it.
But anyways you were right.

kffernandez

Did you ever figure out the problem ? I know this is an old thread but doesn't hurt to ask. lol

sorry about not reporting back about this particular issue of mine.

anyways, a technical expert of summa [someone who is probably part of the actual development] dropped by to take a look at my unit. he pretty much slowed it down, and was able to get acceptable results [not perfect] given the current software/workflow setup. i didn't question/bug him anymore, since all i wanted was to make sure that my unit was able to operate as it intended to, and wasn't a lemon.

now, fast forward to 2-3 more years worth of experience of using my summa, i noticed that when using my typical generic vinyls, i am pretty much able to get perfect cuts almost every single time. but whenever i use the avery MPI3000 + avery DOL3000 laminate, i will always consistently have the same problem as before. this gave me the conclusion that something is off with this particular media. it could be the MPI3000 or the DOL3000, or a combination of both that is having problems. my guess is that it's the MPI3000, since i've had problems when i use it on its own and when i use it with a generic laminate. it might be the way the rollers interact with the media, or the reflectance of the media during opos, etc.

in conclusion, i pretty much gave up on the material. and am very happy with just working with the media that my summa is tried and tested at. it was just not worth the time and effort to trouble shoot it.

hope this helps!

kelly

Miftah

I can't argue with your experiences, but I can visibly tell the difference between how a 2' sheet loads, and how a 4' sheet loads. Maybe you never do really short sheets, which would totally be normal for a majority of shops.

Checking the weight is also mentioned on page 34 of this manual as part of the autoload process—"A simultaneous 45° axial move of the drive drum (sleeves) and cutting head to check the media weight." That's the part that, to me, equates with more accurate cuts. If I load something and it doesn't do that step, things are not quite as precise.

Thank you very much for sharing of your experience... I would give a try shortly and update accordingly...

No harm trying
Thank you!

Miftah

sorry about not reporting back about this particular issue of mine.

anyways, a technical expert of summa [someone who is probably part of the actual development] dropped by to take a look at my unit. he pretty much slowed it down, and was able to get acceptable results [not perfect] given the current software/workflow setup. i didn't question/bug him anymore, since all i wanted was to make sure that my unit was able to operate as it intended to, and wasn't a lemon.

now, fast forward to 2-3 more years worth of experience of using my summa, i noticed that when using my typical generic vinyls, i am pretty much able to get perfect cuts almost every single time. but whenever i use the avery MPI3000 + avery DOL3000 laminate, i will always consistently have the same problem as before. this gave me the conclusion that something is off with this particular media. it could be the MPI3000 or the DOL3000, or a combination of both that is having problems. my guess is that it's the MPI3000, since i've had problems when i use it on its own and when i use it with a generic laminate. it might be the way the rollers interact with the media, or the reflectance of the media during opos, etc.

in conclusion, i pretty much gave up on the material. and am very happy with just working with the media that my summa is tried and tested at. it was just not worth the time and effort to trouble shoot it.

hope this helps!

kelly

Hi Kelly

Its great to hear that you manage to solve or minimise the issue.

I really hope my issue will be solved soonest! Doesnt worth the time

Miftah

I have tried to cut a media of up to 50 cm
But the result still the same
Inconsitent the cutting alignment...
And its out from my 1.5 bleeding....

Really dont expect this from Summa.
Auto load function has been turn on... but unfortunately still the same

balstestrat

Problem Solver
You have something messed up going on. Assuming your file has no issues.
Have you done opos calibration? Have you cleaned the opos sensor if there is some dust or particles partly blocking the sensor?

Give more accurate description of the issue. Is it always inconsistent in some way, left or right, up or down? Or randomly? In the middle or sides?
Even if you turn on Panelling?