• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Suppliers for Small Amount of Matthews Gold Paint?

rossmosh

I have a project in the works and I've tried Modern Masters (hate it) and Nova Color (just satisfactory) gold paints. I'd like to go ahead and use the "industry standard" Matthews Brilliant Gold but I really don't want/need a gallon.

Does anyone know where you can buy a pint or a quart?

Eric H

You also need the hardener (and reducer if spraying), I'm not sure if it comes in smaller amounts.

John Miller

I have a project in the works and I've tried Modern Masters (hate it) and Nova Color (just satisfactory) gold paints. I'd like to go ahead and use the "industry standard" Matthews Brilliant Gold but I really don't want/need a gallon.

Does anyone know where you can buy a pint or a quart?

Why do you hate Modern Masters? Their gold is a much better match to gold leaf than Matthews. We basically use Matthews whenever we are painting a sign but when we need a convincing gold our go-to product is MM. You need a light undercoat and then several coats of paint.

rossmosh

MM has the worst adhesion on a paint I've ever experienced, bar none. When you go to peel the paint mask off on a V-carve sign, the gold paint that filled the letters come off with it. I've tried paint directly onto PVC (no primer). I've tried primer. I've tried putting an under coat. I've tried scuffing the under coat (which is a huge PITA when you're talking about V-carve letters).

On raised letters, it's fine. No mask, it's fine. On V-carve, it's garbage.