• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Surveys

OhioSigns

Just curious what everyone's going rates are for surveys. I don't get contacted much to do them and most of the ones I have done were pretty simple for a single sign or just window graphics that took very little time and i charged around $150. Anyway, I was contacted by a branding agency that wants a location surveyed for a cell phone store and is wanting a ton of measurements, details, pictures and color matches for both interior and exterior signage...... there is a lot of paperwork to be filled out and a ton of measurements (pylon sign, channel letter signs, awning, windows, interior walls, cash wraps). The site is also a 30 minute drive each way from my shop. They said they typically pay $200 for a survey but that seems really low for the amount of time involved. I'm ballparking a minimum of 5 hours between driving, measuring, uploading and laying everything out and filling out their forms. I'm either going to decline or shoot them a figure of what it would take for me to do it but I'm thinking more in the area of $500+ otherwise it's hardly worth my time to mess with it. What's everyone's thoughts on pricing for a detailed survey?

OhioSigns

So, I shot them a price of $500 and they came back that $300 is the most that they could do. I told them if they change their mind to just let me know. I'm busy enough as is and have better things to work on than to tie up over half a day for $300.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Depends... I quoted $1000 for a survey the other day (It was a 2 hour drive, required a bucket... full-blown paperwork..figured it would be an all day job.. and they came back at $400 and I declined.) It was out in the middle of no-where and there wasn't a sign company for hours in either direction.

Usually surveys lead to larger installs. If I know or suspect I'm not getting the job then I don't bother doing the survey at all... Otherwise $150-$350 range... You can't make your money on the surveys...only the jobs that come from it.

TimToad

So, I shot them a price of $500 and they came back that $300 is the most that they could do. I told them if they change their mind to just let me know. I'm busy enough as is and have better things to work on than to tie up over half a day for $300.

Let them try and put someone employed at their company on a plane, rent a car, possibly a lift, hotel room, restaurant per diem, etc... for $300.00

We'll do the easy ones within a 15 minute drive that only need the basics, but we refer out the crazy ones where they want 50 photos, construction/installation methods used on the existing components, contact with a manager on site, etc... all the time sending that many photos, etc. to the local installers who don't actually make signs and only do installs. The few that we regularly work with appreciate the referrals and use them as filler on their way to other jobs. They know they'll likely get the installation, so it usually works out well for them.

Modern Ink Signs

Premium Subscriber
Your shop rate X hours needed for survey. Plus travel time to and from.

Survey includes time need for filling out paperwork, organizing pics, etc

If they don’t want to pay your rate, oh well! Not worth the time to work for little return on your time!

I’m waiting for the day that everyone in our industry wakes the f*** up and stops giving stuff away!!

asd

i will be at $250.00 within a 50 mile radius if its 51 to 100 miles then is $400.00

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Problem is they don't want to pay what it SHOULD cost to do a survey, but most (including myself to an extent) will accept it because it brings in a larger install job. If you don't then someone else will and they'll get the install.