• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

switch question

bigkahuna_305

Hey all so currently we do print and cut decals with a roland vs540 and graphtec plotter with flexi. looking to switch to hp latex. any recommendations? do they only use barcode? or can we keep our current cutter? we only print on 30" rolls as well dp to our work space and laminator size. appreciate any and all help

FCD

HP Latex can print registration marks for graphtec. We have the "latex plotter" a.k.a. summa that we got with the printer as a package deal, but we also use a graphtec flatbed plotter with it as well.

bigkahuna_305

HP Latex can print registration marks for graphtec. We have the "latex plotter" a.k.a. summa that we got with the printer as a package deal, but we also use a graphtec flatbed plotter with it as well.
cool thank you. any major differences between the 115 and 315?

FCD

Stolen from an article online:
"The HP Latex 115 and 315 are comparable in almost every aspect, but there are a few important differences. The first one is the size of the ink cartridges. While the inks themselves are the same, the HP 115 uses smaller cartridges than the HP 315 – the 115’s ink cartridges are 400mL whereas the 315’s are 775mL. The HP Latex 315 also has the OMAS sensor, which helps with skew alignment on media loading and also helps with skew tracking while printing. This is especially useful for larger jobs. And, speaking of larger jobs, the HP 315 enables the user to do “continuous printing”, minimizes the curing time between jobs that have the same print parameters."

I run the 115 currently and have run alot of print lengths upwards of 40ft. per job without issue.

bigkahuna_305

Stolen from an article online:
"The HP Latex 115 and 315 are comparable in almost every aspect, but there are a few important differences. The first one is the size of the ink cartridges. While the inks themselves are the same, the HP 115 uses smaller cartridges than the HP 315 – the 115’s ink cartridges are 400mL whereas the 315’s are 775mL. The HP Latex 315 also has the OMAS sensor, which helps with skew alignment on media loading and also helps with skew tracking while printing. This is especially useful for larger jobs. And, speaking of larger jobs, the HP 315 enables the user to do “continuous printing”, minimizes the curing time between jobs that have the same print parameters."

I run the 115 currently and have run alot of print lengths upwards of 40ft. per job without issue.
thats what i was leaning to thank you!

balstestrat

Problem Solver
It's the RIP that makes the difference. If the printer comes with "print only" RIP, it won't be able to work with a cutter... So make sure that it has support for your cutter. Printer itself doesn't make any difference in this case.

bigkahuna_305

It's the RIP that makes the difference. If the printer comes with "print only" RIP, it won't be able to work with a cutter... So make sure that it has support for your cutter. Printer itself doesn't make any difference in this case.
running Flexisign now with my roland so should work for the HP? just noticed its a 220V we work out of our house so know i may be screwed ugggg

bigkahuna_305

Ok, while true for an optimal workflow, if using a Graphtec plotter, literally any printer can print the reg marks. Using cutting master in illustrator or corel, you can generate registration marks, export them along with the rest of the graphics, print without scaling anything, then return to the previous graphics program to read the marks and cut. I'm guessing Summa's have a similar plugin, but I have no clue. Is this ideal? Not for any sort of high volume, but for someone running an occasional contour cut, sure. It also works very well with multiple copies too, as long as you stay away from the cross cut function.
yup not me lol all we do are contour cuts :)