• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Switching to Avery wrap

Good morning all. I've been a loyal 3M user for all my wraps for many years, but over the past few years we have had quite a few issues. I recently had a wrap less than a year old that had "rusting" all around everything that was dicut. I put in a claim and got some money back from them. I assumed maybe I got a bad batch of vinyl or laminate. Then yesterday I had a customer come by to pick up an order. I noticed that the wrap we did for him about 2 years ago is extremely faded and anywhere there is a small nick in the wrap there is molding that extends about 1/2" into the print. Then I have other wraps out there that have been done for many years and still look great. It seems like the quality of 3M's material has gone down alot over the past couple of years. I can only imagine the nightmare this can turn in to for us. Our clients pay alot of money for us to wrap their vehicles, and even though alot of this work will be out of our warranty period, I will still end up replacing it at my expense to keep our customers happy.
So anyway, I have decided to jump ship and start using Avery wrap products instead. My supplier has recommended MPI1105SC Easy Apply RS LT. I'm just looking for feedback from anyone using this material, or recommendations for something better. I'm not worried about the cost, I'd rather spend more money to give my clients the best product. Any advice/feedback would be greatly appreciated. Side note....I have been in the sign industry for 30 years and been doing wraps for at least 10. My 3M issues are definately not a printing, outgassing or laminating issue. I've never used anything but certified Mimaki inks in my printer, my wrap material and laminates match, we outgas all of our wraps for a minimum of 3 days before lamination, etc, etc.
Thanks!

BUCKY

Good morning all. I've been a loyal 3M user for all my wraps for many years, but over the past few years we have had quite a few issues. I recently had a wrap less than a year old that had "rusting" all around everything that was dicut. I put in a claim and got some money back from them. I assumed maybe I got a bad batch of vinyl or laminate. Then yesterday I had a customer come by to pick up an order. I noticed that the wrap we did for him about 2 years ago is extremely faded and anywhere there is a small nick in the wrap there is molding that extends about 1/2" into the print. Then I have other wraps out there that have been done for many years and still look great. It seems like the quality of 3M's material has gone down alot over the past couple of years. I can only imagine the nightmare this can turn in to for us. Our clients pay alot of money for us to wrap their vehicles, and even though alot of this work will be out of our warranty period, I will still end up replacing it at my expense to keep our customers happy.
So anyway, I have decided to jump ship and start using Avery wrap products instead. My supplier has recommended MPI1105SC Easy Apply RS LT. I'm just looking for feedback from anyone using this material, or recommendations for something better. I'm not worried about the cost, I'd rather spend more money to give my clients the best product. Any advice/feedback would be greatly appreciated. Side note....I have been in the sign industry for 30 years and been doing wraps for at least 10. My 3M issues are definately not a printing, outgassing or laminating issue. I've never used anything but certified Mimaki inks in my printer, my wrap material and laminates match, we outgas all of our wraps for a minimum of 3 days before lamination, etc, etc.
Thanks!
Left 3M a couple years ago due to issues. Used it exclusively for 30 years. The quality control and customer service is not what it used to be and their
prices just keep rising. Avery is what we switched to and the 1105 has been awesome for us. Our installers prefer it over the 3M as well.
Avery also costs less which helps with profit!

HulkSmash

Thanks!

I've been using 3M for 11 years now. We had an issue with them (not material, but company ethics) and switched to Avery for a few months. Avery DO have a much better corporate team and mentality, but their material does not do well in the sun. Every Avery wrap we did failed, due to sun fade, within 2 years. We did a fleet where it was all avery, and the hoods were 3M.. the Hoods looked brand new, and the avery wrap was dead. In my opinion - 3M support is only as good as the rep you have... our rep has been good for us in the last year or two. Good luck. Also 2-3 years on a wrap that is outdoor 24/7 to have fade isn't super uncommon.. especially in your parts. Good luck with the switch.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
Thanks!

I am Josh Cormany, the developer of our Media Division here at Gans Digital. I used to sell lots and lots of rolls of 3M controltac back in the late 90’s and 2000’s, but was unable to secure any dealerships once I got back into that market segment here at Gans.

All the major brands decided that their business with companies like Fellers, and Grimco is more important than Gans. Well, since I have been in this industry for over 23 years now and considered to be an expert in our field, I thought it would be a great idea to develop a new cast vinyl with a major US manufacturer that refuses to deal with the type of companies who just simply buy up the competition.

After nearly 2 years of adhesive development, we are 100% confident that this is a material that your installers will love to work with. It has a slightly higher tack than Arlon SLX, this makes doing 1 man installs easier than normal. This is a 10 year outdoor rated 2 Mil CAST VINYL, and comes with our 2 Mil CAST GLOSS or MATTE laminate. (We do not guarantee 10 years on the car though)

All we need is 1 opportunity to show you how great this material is. The Avery material is a great product and I totally understand if you are completely tied to that brand. I am asking that you try our material if you are a 3M, Arlon, Avery, Oracal, MacTac, or Hexis CAST solution user. I really feel that you will have great success with our CAST solution vs. the above mentioned brands.

These wrap kits are 100% satisfaction GUARANTEED! If you do not love the way it prints and installs, we will bring it back and refund your money!

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
I am Josh Cormany, the developer of our Media Division here at Gans Digital. I used to sell lots and lots of rolls of 3M controltac back in the late 90’s and 2000’s, but was unable to secure any dealerships once I got back into that market segment here at Gans.

All the major brands decided that their business with companies like Fellers, and Grimco is more important than Gans. Well, since I have been in this industry for over 23 years now and considered to be an expert in our field, I thought it would be a great idea to develop a new cast vinyl with a major US manufacturer that refuses to deal with the type of companies who just simply buy up the competition.

After nearly 2 years of adhesive development, we are 100% confident that this is a material that your installers will love to work with. It has a slightly higher tack than Arlon SLX, this makes doing 1 man installs easier than normal. This is a 10 year outdoor rated 2 Mil CAST VINYL, and comes with our 2 Mil CAST GLOSS or MATTE laminate. (We do not guarantee 10 years on the car though)

All we need is 1 opportunity to show you how great this material is. The Avery material is a great product and I totally understand if you are completely tied to that brand. I am asking that you try our material if you are a 3M, Arlon, Avery, Oracal, MacTac, or Hexis CAST solution user. I really feel that you will have great success with our CAST solution vs. the above mentioned brands.

These wrap kits are 100% satisfaction GUARANTEED! If you do not love the way it prints and installs, we will bring it back and refund your money!

So you're saying this Cast vinyl is manufactured in the USA? Does it have Egress? Does it have a warranty? What inks does it like? Is the adhesive opaque?
How about some more info on the product...since you're already here touting it.
Interested.

2B

Sun exposure is a VERY important factor for us here in the South.

from our testing, the ARLON SLX has matched if not outperformed the other "brands"

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
So you're saying this Cast vinyl is manufactured in the USA? Does it have Egress? Does it have a warranty? What inks does it like? Is the adhesive opaque?
How about some more info on the product...since you're already here touting it.
Interested.

Yes, made in the USA. Yes, it has air-egress. Yes, it is a 10 year outdoor CAST vinyl and warranted for 7 on cars. It loves all types of inks including Latex, UV, and Eco-Solvent. I have not seen this type of success with cast vinyl in my career, every single installer so far has absolutely loved it! It is very similar to SLX with a slightly higher tack is how the clients describe it to me. I can send out some printed and laminated sheets for you to check out. Wrap a side mirror and see how you like it.

http://www.gansdigital.com/products/media/cast-vinyl-materials/srt-car-wrap-vinyl/
http://www.gansdigital.com/products...ls/srt-car-wrap-vinyl/gans-srt-warranty-info/