• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

T head ?

Letterbox Mike

Good for cutting sandblast resist, reflective or other thick materials regularly. Not worth the money unless you do a whole lot of that type of work though. We've had a T750 and now an S160D and prefer the drag knife. Summa makes some of the best plotters out there, you can't go wrong either way. The drag knife seems to be a little faster and much quieter than the T head. We've cut 20mil sandblast and regularly cut reflective on the D with zero issues. It's a toss-up but I'm inclined to say that Summa's D-head is so very very good that the T head is overkill in almost all instances. What model are you considering?

Rooster

I'm looking at the S140 T head. Seems it's an additional $1500 or so for the option.

I want to have the option to handle the tougher reflective materials, but the immediate chore will be cutting convex vinyl graphics that can be up to 20 mils thick.

I just like the way the summas are constructed. They seem real beefy compared to the other machines out there.

Letterbox Mike

They are really beefy, heavy duty for sure. If you're cutting ALOT of heavy stuff it's probably worth the extra for the T head, but still I don't know if it's necessary. Like I said, we cut a fair amount of reflective and 20mil resist on our D with no problems, I don't know if that wuld have any long term affects on the head, but so far so good. If you're unsure and the extra $$$ won't kill you, go for the T, better to have more than you need than not enough...

woolly

hi the t head is just the job for the thicker stuff and you can have the drag knife as well.
t heads take all the strain away from doing thick materials and are worth it if that what you do.
for normal work you may find the t head a bit annoying then you can plug in the drag knife.
the best of both worlds.

the s class is on the top of my wish list

woolly