• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Thin gauge metal plaques...printed?

petepaz

No texture, the surface is totally smooth. Tried scratching the black with something sharp and it took a lot of effort to leave a mark. Agree that the laminate is just a protective film, it peeled off easily. Customer probably removes it when they apply the plaques. I'll check out JDS, thanks. Didn't know they did wholesale production!
they are metal photo process.

rossmosh

JDS will not do this process. At best, they'll offer sublimated on aluminum, which will not match. Johnsons Plastic would likely be a better option for small quantity runs but even then, I'm not sure if they'll be a big help.

Gemini who bought ID Plates would be the best place to go. Gemini has really hiked up their rates on this type of product so be forewarned.

This is simply a die cut plate with silkscreening and then a plastic slip sheet applied afterwards. The plate is then stamped, punched or engraved afterwards.

EDIT: Pete probably is right that they are "Metalphoto" or some similar process. Still something Gemini can do out of their Texas (ID Plates) facility most likely.

gnubler

Thanks for all the suggestions. Are these all retail places? Customer is already getting these from somewhere so I'm going to pass on the bid if I can't find a wholesaler. I looked into Gemini and they don't offer what I think I'm looking for, and the customer is wanting a plate thinner than .020 if possible. Agree that this is probably the Metalphoto process.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
All of you are supposed to be grizzled sign people and not one of you recognizes a dye sub print?

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
All of you are supposed to be grizzled sign people and not one of you recognizes a dye sub print?
How can you be so certain just from the photo? It looks like it could have come off our UV flatbed printer.

CanuckSigns

Possibly because it's not dye-sub? Dye-sub doesn't hold up in industrial environments, the plate in the photo is MetalPhoto, we order a ton of them

Attachments

• Metalphoto.jpg
    Metalphoto.jpg
    944.8 KB · Views: 73

gnubler

Gemini describes their dye-sub plates as interior use. These get attached to outdoor fuel tanks so definitely need to be durable and resistant. I'm still thinking MetalPhoto.