• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Things that make you go hmmm - Corel Conspiracy Theory

WildWestDesigns

1. Whenever you have repeatable errors, shut the software down and click on the window icon and type %temp% and hit ENTER, and delete all the temp files it will let you. Sometimes bad data gets written to a program's working temp file and it references the bad data and crashes over and over at the exact same spot. I seriously doubt that this will solve your problem, but it is a good idea to delete these files weekly. All programs write temp data to this location and often leave behind stray files. If you don't do this, you will be amazed at the number of files and the total amount of data stored here.

To add to this, there is a built in way to get rid alot of other cruft that builds up in a system. It's been in Windows since, that I could find as this is as far back as I have, Win 98. Go to Windows Explorer, right click on C: and click on Properties. Click on Disk Cleanup. Check all the areas that you want Windows to clean and click OK. There is an option to cleanup System Files. Click on that and it gives you another tab. I go into that tab and clear out system restore and shadow copies.

If you never done this, it could clear out GBs of space.

If you use CCleaner or Bleachbit, this will also get those files as well, but there is a built in way to do it. I don't know if it's still in Win 10 or not, but worth checking out. All of this cruft can really start to add up if you aren't using something.

twmiller24

For me that's the one thing that throw up a red flag, I really do not like Illustrator & it seems
very similar, is that correct?
Yes, it similar to Illustrator. I don't know Corel Draw well, so I can't really compare.
There are some things that are annoying, like the default measurements being in mm instead of inches. And I don't know it as well as Illustrator. But overall, I've found that Serif software (which I've used since 2005) is intuitive and well-done. And I love not having to pay a creative cloud fee for my personal stuff.

WildWestDesigns

Why isn’t inkscape a more popular alternative?

I prefer Inkscape, it's what I use.

One thing to keep in mind with Inkscape, it's file format is based on SVG (and it's a more powerful implementation then what I have seen from Adobe or Corel up to CS6 and X8, but it may be the same as Inkscape is now in their current iterations (but I have no reason to think it has been improved in later iterations) and that is for the web and the limitations of color gamuts therein. You will need to use a plugin or another program to help with that. Doable, but will need that.

I do like the scripting ability (but then again, I know Python, not everyone does) and that leads for far more robust use automation. Yes, Corel and Adobe allow for that, but it's not a full access API as far as I am aware. By that I mean, I can pretty much do anything with the program and not limited to what those companies allow me to do. For instance, a complaint about people migrating from one software vendor to another is all those files that would have to be converted to another format to get something to import into the next program (not talking about 1:1 port from one program to the next, just to have something so not starting from zero when swapping programs). To my knowledge that's still a majorly manual job. Not only could I script that in Inkscape, but I could also script it to where Inkscape will run headless (not in GUI form) to increase how quickly that is done as well. Yes, it may take me 3, 4 hrs to figure out the script, but thing about trying to do that manually without scripting for decades of files or even just a few yrs of files? I haven't seen a batch export for Ai or Draw, but that doesn't mean that it doesn't exist, but as much as people complain about that, I'm inclined to think that it doesn't, but I'm pretty sure one can't run Ai or DRAW headless (which is helpful as well in a process such as this).

Don't have to come up with the script yourself, can get 3rd party scripts (use with caution, like with anything), but some it appears are adamantly against scripting and I think that's a mistake. Efficiency and learning to be efficient with the tools that we use help increase our profits.

And then of course, you have the age old saying "you get what you pay for". More often then not (at least 51% of the time) that's true, but it's not all the time and I think people apply that saying to all the time. It does have it's limitations (like the one I mentioned early), but it just takes time to compensate, some aren't willing to put in the time and that's ok, but it's a shame. While workflow hits due to learning curve is a serious thing to contend with, that only goes so far before it's really a person not wanting to actually change and throwing up more mental roadblocks then anything else. Again not all the time, but it does happen.

There are some things that are annoying, like the default measurements being in mm instead of inches.

That's pretty standard from the software that I use as far as default settings go (especially depends on the vendor's country of origin). They typically allow for the default to be change (but not all, some only have that one unit of measurement).

Last edited:

brycesteiner

I give a +1 for the Affinity Suite. I think I have about 20 licenses now for our employees and they can install it on their home computers too. The price is cheap and it is very powerful. I really don't care about the price as I still pay for the Adobe suite too just because of our old files. Affinity does an excellent job at opening PDF's so you don't have to start back a zero to recreate files - even when people send in Word files or PDf from word. I can now edit them in a useable file format. I can't really compare it to Corel as I have been using Aldus/Adobe since early 90's. I always liked how Freehand worked and I find that Affinity has included the best of that into Designer.

Compared to Adobe:
photo editing can be done right in the files without editing the original links. Most editing is non destructible. The color palettes are much more powerful. It's always full resolution and the screen is much smoother. The 200-216" limits imposed by Adobe are not there (like Corel). The color options are much greater. Having variable stroke widths is great (Indesign does not have this). Being able to remove white backgrounds of provided logos instantly is great (blend modes). The brushes are really good too. Make your own fairly simply. Much more too.

What version 1 does not have that I do still need Illustrator for (yes, I know there are other tools) is bitmap to vector tracing. With my Adobe license it's just a matter of tracing it and then copying it into Affinity. The copy from Adobe is as good or better than copying from Adobe to Adobe. Somethings are more confusing but more so because I've been using Indesign for nearly 20 years. Once you get used to it, it's hard to go back to Indesign, and when I do, I'm usually just exporting an IDML for Affinity to open.

2020 Breakdown:
99% of our creative work is now done in Affinity. However booklets are mostly done in Indesign as they were created there to begin with. I'm sure that will change. This year that hasn't been a problem with Coronovirus. No booklets are being made except for the hospitals.
70% of prepress in Acrobat with Pitstop and Quite Imposing; 30% Affinity (usually correcting PDF's sent in from outside). The grommet marks, bleeds verified/created, file names, etc. are placed automatically on the PDF at this stage. Flexi imports then prints/cuts.
95% of our newspaper ads created in Affinity - The slices feature as saved hours compared to creating ads in Indesign, naming, exporting, cropping, etc., The blend modes feature changes everything too. Photoshop (or Affinity Photo) is rarely needed to fix things now such as adding clipping paths. Having stock photos built right in is incredible!
100% Newspaper layouts are in Indesign (haven't done any real test to transition yet)
100% Banners and signs are in Affinity Designer

Our 2018 breakdown was much different. We were doing a few small things in Affinity just to test it out. At that time we were nearly 100% Adobe for everything. We haven't made the switch because of price but because of features.

printhog

well after corel 2019 tossed my workspace and fonts, i caved and bought their 2020 upgrade subscription...lo and behold, right after that $249 recurring annual purchase corel 2019 restarted with all my fonts and workspace back... hadn't even downloaded the new installer package yet.. Im gonna say the folks at Corel are getting shady.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
What is with you people and Corel? I've been using Corel since version 1 way back in the early 90's plus or minus. I have never, as in ever, experienced difficulties of the magnitude that seem to inflict all of the rest of you. With any version. I'm currently wrangling 18 and, after all these years, don't plan on further upgrades. What are you people doing with this software? It must be some strange and perhaps kinky things that foment the sorts of problems you report.

WildWestDesigns

What is with you people and Corel? I've been using Corel since version 1 way back in the early 90's plus or minus. I have never, as in ever, experienced difficulties of the magnitude that seem to inflict all of the rest of you. With any version. I'm currently wrangling 18 and, after all these years, don't plan on further upgrades. What are you people doing with this software? It must be some strange and perhaps kinky things that foment the sorts of problems you report.

It's a simple as running legacy software version on a rolling release version of Windows (which was a version of Windows that was never supported for that version of DRAW, nothing strange or kinky about that as that was the practice of a lot of people for a long time and before rolling release Windows, people could get away with it more often then not (I actually have software written in 1997 and still runs in Win 10 (which on one hand is awesome, but on the other is downright concerning)). If one never did that, then no, probably wouldn't have had that issue.