• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Things to consider if you buy Christmas presents

Speedsterbeast

Personally I choose not to celebrate Christmas, as I think it is a joke to try and tie this holiday to any religeous event, no matter which one you may recognize, but I received this email today and thought it had some great ideas for shopping for gifts.

Of coarse feel free to swap your home court for "Canada" or "Canadian"

Christmas 2011 -- Birth of a New Tradition

As the holidays approach, the giant Asian factories are kicking into high gear to provide Canadians with monstrous piles of cheaply produced goods -- merchandise that has been produced at the expense of Canadian labor .

This year will be different . This year Canadians will give the gift of genuine concern for other Canadians . There is no longer an excuse that, at gift giving time, nothing can be found that is produced by Canadians hands .

Yes there is!

It's time to think outside the box, people . Who says a gift needs to fit in a shirt box, wrapped in Chinese produced wrapping paper?

Everyone -- yes EVERYONE gets their hair cut . How about gift certificates from your local Canadian hair salon or barber?

Gym membership? It's appropriate for all ages who are thinking about some health improvement .

Who wouldn't appreciate getting their car detailed? Small, Canadian owned detail shops and car washes would love to sell you a gift certificate or a book of gift certificates .

Are you one of those extravagant givers who think nothing of plonking down the Benjamines on a Chinese made flat-screen? Perhaps that grateful gift receiver would like his driveway sealed, or lawn mowed for the summer, or driveway plowed all winter, or games at the local golf course .

There are a bazillion owner-run restaurants -- all offering gift certificates . And, if your intended isn't the fancy eatery sort, what about a half dozen breakfasts at the local breakfast joint .

Remember, folks this isn't about big National chains -- this is about supporting your home town Canadian with their financial lives on the line to keep their doors open .

How many people couldn't use an oil change for their car, truck or motorcycle, done at a shop run by the Canadian working guy?

Thinking about a heartfelt gift for mom? Mom would LOVE the services of a local cleaning lady for a day .

My computer could use a tune-up, and I KNOW I can find some young guy who is struggling to get his repair business up and running .

OK, you were looking for something more personal . Local crafts people spin their own wool and knit them into scarves . They make jewelry, and pottery and beautiful wooden boxes .

Plan your holiday outings at local, owner operated restaurants and leave your server a nice tip . And, how about going out to see a play or ballet at your hometown theatre .

Musicians need love too, so find a venue showcasing local bands .

Honestly, people, do you REALLY need to buy another ten thousand Chinese lights for the house? When you buy a five dollar string of lights, about fifty cents stays in the community .

If you have those kinds of bucks to burn, leave the mailman, trash guy or babysitter a nice BIG tip .

You see, Christmas is no longer about draining Canadian pockets so that China can build another glittering city .

Christmas is now about caring about us, encouraging Canadian small businesses to keep plugging away to follow their dreams .

And, when we care about other Canadians, we care about our communities, and the benefits come back to us in ways we couldn't imagine.

THIS is the new Canadian Christmas tradition .

Forward this to everyone on your mailing list -- post it to discussion groups -- throw up a post on Craigslist in the Rants and Raves section in your city -- send it to the editor of your local paper and radio stations, and TV news departments . This is a revolution of caring about each other, and isn't that what Christmas is about?

BUY CANADIAN - BE CANADIAN - The job you save might be your own