• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Thoughts on the Epson s70670?

Snap2000

Hello, I've been looking into buying an S70670, and was wondering if I could get some feedback on your opinions of it? As well as how it compares to it's replacement, the newer S80600. Any info on the print quality and issues with the s70 is appreciated. I know that the s70 is a older model now, but currently I have a dual CYMK Roland VSi, and I am looking to upgrade the print quality and speed to make high quality art decals. Thanks.

ProColorGraphics

I had one and it worked great. They had a few issues when they first came out, so they got a bad reputation. I ended up giving it to a local college after I upgraded to a S80.

Is it the S70670 or S70675? Does it use Orange or Orange+?

Snap2000

I had one and it worked great. They had a few issues when they first came out, so they got a bad reputation. I ended up giving it to a local college after I upgraded to a S80.

Is it the S70670 or S70675? Does it use Orange or Orange+?
There seems to be a lot of posts about the early issues, but they're really isn't that much information about the Epson's online compared to other brands.

It is a S70670, inks were flushed out before put in storage. Orange+ can be installed with the latest firmware correct? Does it solve the fading issues people were having?

jfiscus

Rap Master
They work fine, we used them for years. Set up a profile in your RIP that only uses CMYK and you wont have that much fading. The additional inks fade pretty quick and the yellow also fades over time quicker than the other colors.

unclebun

I am using an S70670 I have had since the introduction. You can use the orange+ ink if you want but it doesn't help with longevity. For outdoor signs and banners I have made profiles that only use CMYKLcLm and get normal durability. Before I realized the problem, I had done a bunch of signs and wraps that had red colors turn pink after about 2 years. Since using my "outdoor" profile, no problems.

Print quality whether using the outdoor profile or using all the inks is the best I have ever seen.

The downside is it feels like Epson is pushing people to quit using them. Ink prices have begun going up sharply this year, and availability is not as good as it used to be. That might be Grimco's doing, but instead of getting ink cartridges next day, I often have to wait to have them dropshipped directly from Epson.

weesss

Hello, I've been looking into buying an S70670, and was wondering if I could get some feedback on your opinions of it? As well as how it compares to it's replacement, the newer S80600. Any info on the print quality and issues with the s70 is appreciated. I know that the s70 is a older model now, but currently I have a dual CYMK Roland VSi, and I am looking to upgrade the print quality and speed to make high quality art decals. Thanks.
i recently purchased one. bought it from an "online reseller"... a less than reputable place, but it was delivered after many excuses and delays... the color and print quality is quite good and much finer than the previous 4 color ones. though in the 6 months i have been running it, i have had bad ink, that luckily has cleared itself up, and epson doesn't really care unless you have the protection plan. the reseller i purchased from was less than knowledgeable, and made some really bad common sense mistakes that nearly bricked the machine before i even received it, though luck has saved it.

the one i got i can see why people have lots of problems with them, as it is pretty finicky, and luckily i had a previous epson and a lot of trouble shooting experience to fix all the problems. mine has every problem in the service book, and some, you cannot fix, though when there is a lul in work i am going to try to tackle the major problems mine has with some engineering experiences. when this printer works it is great and fast, just difficult sometimes.

a77

i recently purchased one. bought it from an "online reseller"... a less than reputable place, but it was delivered after many excuses and delays... the color and print quality is quite good and much finer than the previous 4 color ones. though in the 6 months i have been running it, i have had bad ink, that luckily has cleared itself up, and epson doesn't really care unless you have the protection plan. the reseller i purchased from was less than knowledgeable, and made some really bad common sense mistakes that nearly bricked the machine before i even received it, though luck has saved it.
Hi wweesss, what do you mean by "bad ink" ?

weesss

Hi wweesss, what do you mean by "bad ink" ?
it is a difficult problem, but you get banding / clogs / over spray when printing. you can start printing with a 100% nozzle check and it will print perfect for a bit then clog and lose nozzles, or you will get "over spray" or stray ink / uneven ink all over the place. not drips, just stray ink / ink dust all over. it is mostly just the k channel that does it. you can do a nozzle check after and it may be 100% or be missing a few nozzles and do a cleaning and all will be ok. it eventually just goes away. i had an ink in sublimation printers that would do the same thing, drove me wild and the manufacturer always said it was a me problem, or every other problem in the book to fix it. it cost me tens of thousands of dollars, and when i was fed up enough, i switched ink brands. i literally just switched the ink, i didn't even do a cleaning flush, just emptied the old ink and put in the new, and all the problems went away, and i have never looked back. the 3rd party ink company had a head replacement guarantee that their ink would not cause problems and they would replace them if their was problems, and was why i chose them. after 5 print heads at my expense and the ink company failing to respond to any sort of service, i made the switch. printing can be so fun.

Last edited:

jfiscus

Rap Master
We've never had bad ink for any of ours either. One is still printing here; must be a ton of miles on that machine. Last one to die had a mainboard issue that killed it but was printing fine until then.

a77

I have had issues with my s40 where we get ink starvation... replace the ink cartridge and it's fine. So we think the system is operating marginally and the extra vaccum caused by the ink cartridge (for whatever reason) is causing the issues.

unclebun

I have had issues with my s40 where we get ink starvation... replace the ink cartridge and it's fine. So we think the system is operating marginally and the extra vaccum caused by the ink cartridge (for whatever reason) is causing the issues.
That usually is caused by the damper--which is not user serviceable on the Epsons.