• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

too much Yellow in greys.

Hey Guys, kinda new to profiling and even paid an "out of work" color guy to come and go though on how to profile IJ 180 CV3. After about 3 days of trying and burning through just about all leftovers of material we still dont have a good profile.

Apparently were having trouble when linearizing. or adjusting target densititys??

We're using our newly upgraded Onyx 10 Production House. (Although it still says postershop when opening rip que, media manager says PH)

I1 Basic
and Epson GS 6000

any help?
Thanks
Wayne

signswi

If the media you're trying to profile has optical brightners you need to use the UV filter on the i1.

Could be a lot of different things causing this but start there.

so thread went dark.. but should I be using the UV cut to profile 3m IJ180 cV3?

You are fine with using the UV Cut version of the EyeOne Pro spectrophotometer. Are you getting the entire Media created, or is the process hanging up in the middle (ink restrictions/ linearizing?) and not getting through the process to create the ICC?

Grizzly

It’s all about your print!
Pull out yellow in your rip, add magenta. That is the only way we have figured out how to make it "stay" gray outside. Inside it looks a little purpley but our customers would rather have it look gray in the sunlight. Most overlaminate makes it go yellow/green too so the magenta can help offset that.
Jeremy

that kinda defeats the purpose of profiling in house no? I have a guy with an older Xrite DTP70 (no UV filter) and it worked perfect on our equipment. The main problem we see is when reading the very first set of patches the Yellow curve is more like steps. I'll add some pics today. Could be a bad device?

You are fine with using the UV Cut version of the EyeOne Pro spectrophotometer. Are you getting the entire Media created, or is the process hanging up in the middle (ink restrictions/ linearizing?) and not getting through the process to create the ICC?

when runnning the linerazation scan it tells you that its not linearized
we get through it but when printing the onyx photo test the greyscale image has yellow shadows.

eye4clr

The main problem we see is when reading the very first set of patches the Yellow curve is more like steps.

steps = bad linearization

I bet if you printed gradients of various transitions through the linearized media model (without the icc) you'd see some nasty color banding instead of smooth transitions.

If so, it's messing with the measurements in the icc.

Fundamentally, you have to have smooth linearizations to have your ICC perform well. Onyx typically does a good job of this. I'm guessing you're not dragging the i1 smoothly enough or there is something wrong with your yellow output on the printer making each successive patch in the Y read incorrectly.

Success in making your own profiles is 99% in everything that comes BEFORE you print the patches for the ICC.

eye4clr

something is causing the measurements to be inconsistent. Most likely is something physical on the printer. IOW, the Y isn't printing well.

I would agree but when we used the DTP 70 reader (older automatic sheet reader) it worked fine. nice smooth curves and linear analysis said everything was ok

eye4clr

if the i1 was bad, it wouldn't just be the Y with funky readings.

BTW, if I remember right, a DTP 70 is a densitometer and not nearly as sensitive as the i1.