• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help transperancies question

crny1

I have tried to use a small transparent star burst (downloaded eps from shutterstock). The file from shutterstock is in RGB format. My color format for the illustrator file I built is in RGB. When it prints the rip converts it to CMYK and when it does the transperancies dont look the same. If I change the file color mode to CMYK the starbursts look just like printed.....wrong. Hope that makes sense. I save the file in RGB format but cant figure out how to get it to print correct. Is there something I am missing when saving the file? I have never run into this before. Thanks

Cory Marcin

Flatten the transparencies in Illustrator. If necessary convert to TIFF. Usually works out any transparency issues that I have.

JPR-5690

Every printer dreads files with rgb transparencies because they’re meant for screen view, not printed output. Usually the better route is to use a tint of a color instead.

Either save a rasterized version of the file to print from or export as a pdf x4 and run the “flatten transparencies” preflight profile from acrobat pro.

If you convert the color space before flattening the transparency it will change the transparency itself, you have to flatten before converting the colors.

shoresigns

Transparent CMYK layers blend differently than RGB, so if you want the closest possible representation of the RGB file, you need to flatten the transparency before converting to CMYK.

If you want to experiment with RGB/CMYK transparencies to better understand how they work, InDesign allows you to mix RGB and CMYK elements in the same document, and you can toggle the transparency mode between RGB to CMYK. Illustrator does not have this capability.