• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

trotec laser vs bodor laser

bigben

So I'm doing my homework to eventually buy a laser. Since I never operate one, I don't know much about it. There is a considerable price difference between a trotec laser (big brand) and bodor laser (chinese brand) for similar specs on paper. I've asked to trotec what is the difference and other than ''better construction'', they did not really answer the question.

So does anyone can tell me the difference with real examples of why I would pay 10 times the price for a trotec vs bodor?

thanks.

Christian @ 2CT Media

Support, quality of parts, precision of optics are the big 3 differences.

We have been in the market for a laser and have been looking at all options too... With our experience with China, I would avoid a unsupported production machine. Like now we are having minor issues with our iecho and getting little support. We solved our own issues but unless you want to be your own tech support I would avoid it.

CanuckSigns

We have owned 6 laser machines over the years, All of them have been Trotec's, the build quality is amazing, support is really good if you do have an issue.

We currently have 2 machines that both run pretty much all day every day, with regular maintenance and cleaning they just run and run.

billsines

We have two Epilog lasers. Yes they are more money, but support is in Colorado. Guys speak English. Getting parts is super easy. As an example, our second laser we bought used. It was built in 1997, and the only issue so far is, we have to recharge the laser tube, which is normal. So that thing is a beast and has been running for a very long time. I have my doubts that your Chinese laser will run like that.

I was also told by someone that there is a huge difference in watts. While you may get a chinese laser that is rated at 100 watts, the way the power output is calculated for this laser is not even close to being the same as a 100 watt Epilog (which is a CO2 laser).

I did toy with the idea of getting a Full Spectrum laser, which seems to be a chinese import, but supported here in the US. You may look into that for another option.

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
Support, quality of parts, precision of optics are the big 3 differences.

We have been in the market for a laser and have been looking at all options too... With our experience with China, I would avoid a unsupported production machine. Like now we are having minor issues with our iecho and getting little support. We solved our own issues but unless you want to be your own tech support I would avoid it.
The only thing I think you missed is software compatibility. Make sure you can run it with what you have on hand.

rjssigns

Didn't someone here have a shop fire caused by a Chinese laser? Was some time ago, and I could be wrong. I'm wrong about lots of stuff just ask my wife.

gnemmas

To be fair, fire caused by Laser cutting might not be related to the Machine itself, rather the material it is cutting, and the debris under the cutting bed.

Our Trotec caused a small fire while cutting acrylic "unattended", fortunately the operator got back in time and it was contained within the machine.

Gene@mpls

Trotec is an RF laser, Chicom built lasers are CO2 glass tube lasers. I have had 2 Bodor lasers which are well built and reliable. There are a lot of ins and outs to Chicom lasers but can be good machines. RF lasers can engrave much faster BTW, otherwise performance is similar.

bigben

Thanks all for the response. I understand the service part and maybe the quality. If it was just a double or even triple the price, it would be a no brainer. But it's 10 times the price difference between the two. If I have to buy a bodor every 2 years because of any problem, I would still save money over 20 years or so.

Trotec is an RF laser, Chicom built lasers are CO2 glass tube lasers. I have had 2 Bodor lasers which are well built and reliable. There are a lot of ins and outs to Chicom lasers but can be good machines. RF lasers can engrave much faster BTW, otherwise performance is similar.

This is the kind of answer I wanted to have. Can you give me more example like this? Do they have variance in precision? If yes how and why?

StarSign

Make sure you manage your expectations, don't buy a Pinto and then get mad that it doesn't look, act, or run like a Porsche

bigben

Make sure you manage your expectations, don't buy a Pinto and then get mad that it doesn't look, act, or run like a Porsche

This is the problem. I don't know the limitation/variant of the bodor vs trotec. Other than, ''It have better part and service'' I've never had a real answer. And is it better to value a 10 times prices? If yes, how precisely.

If I take the same analogy, the audi ttrs does de 0-60 in 3.5 second and the audi r8 does it in 3.3 second. For me, it does not value the 2.5 times price difference.

Gene@mpls

Ben- I would say [having a lot of experience with Chinese lasers- four now over almost 3 years] that they can be a good value for the right person with the right needs. I should do a piece about these issues- I am a moderator on a forum dealing with [mostly] one brand [Ruida] laser controller which are almost all Chinese CO2 glass tube lasers spread all over the world. I am in Puerto Morelos till tomorrow and will try to put something together as these machines fit very well into a signshop's workflow [IMHO]. They can be imported by individuals or bought from ebay or Amazon or from a few reliable companies in the US. The prices, as you might expect, varies from one extreme to the other, IOW - how much risk you are comfortable with and how much tinkering and frustration you are willing to invest. Gene

johnnysigns

Anyone familiar with the lasers from Laguna Tools? Just wondering if they are any good.

Pretty sure those are the bodors that are rebranded.

Rabbit laser and boss laser are similar machines that get QC'd in the states and offer a higher level of support than a straight outright chinese machine. You pay for that, but it could be seen as a great value depending on what you need or not.