• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

UCJV-300 Cast Vinyl and Laminate Question

InkHead

We are looking to use 3M cast vinyl in the near future with our UCJV300. We like to laminate these prints and wondering which laminates you guys have had success with the UV ink. I've searched the forums and early on people were having issues with silvering even with heat assist. This was back in 2019-ish. I haven't seen anything too recent.

We are thinking about using 3M IJ180cv3 and looking for a laminate to pair with it that will lay down well with this ink. Any of you guys have experience with this vinyl and a good laminate pairing? Or any cast laminate that has worked well for you? Thanks!

Last edited:

InkHead

Most media should have a pretty easily available spec sheet. Check if it’s suitable for UV prints.

I did find the attached pdf which specifically refers to the UCJV300 but with LUS-200. However, I did find some references on this forum that someone used 8518 and had silvering.

So I'm just wondering if anyone here has used any of these cast overlaminates on their UCJV prints and can provide some feedback of recent uses.

Attachments

• multimedia (2).pdf
    149 KB · Views: 125

White Haus

Not a Newbie
We just wrapped a food trailer with Avery 1105RS + 1060Z, printed full coverage with LUS-170 inks on our UCJV.

Silvering was fairly consistent throughout the prints, only changed with firm squeegee pressure. We used a bit of heat on our laminator, but the amount of heat you need to eliminate it gets into stretching territory.
I'm optimistic that it went away/will go away after a couple of days in the sun though, and customer was ecstatic and didn't notice/mind.

I will say that using that material combo printed on the UCJV was unbelievably nice to work with, after working with solvent printed IJ180 for the last 10+ years. Very nice material to work with, and despite low/no initial tack, sets up real strong faster than you would expect.

InkHead

Thanks WH for the info. That is really helpful. While browsing around, the Avery 1105RS and 1060Z came up as well as an alternative to the 3M materials so that is good to know you had some success with it. Most people describe it the same way with it being really easy to work with especially the very little initial tack.

What laminator did you use on this job?

Hopefully the silvering goes away on the trailer.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
No problem, any other questions just let me know.

We used our old faithful GBC Titan laminator. We also got a Mimaki heat-assist laminator with the deal when we got our UCJV, but ironically it's sitting in a corner collecting dust as we don't have space to set up both of them and it takes too long to web up/set up. (This is mainly due to us only using it a handful of times)

I should really make an effort of using it with the UCJV prints and see it does a better job of eliminating the silvering - the roller is much bigger than our GBC and might do a better job.

InkHead

Thanks again for the info. We currently do not have a heat assist laminator so we are looking into options. We really don't need anything bigger than a 40" for what we will use it for. So we are looking at options for a smaller laminator with heat. I did briefly look at Mimak's as it is appears to be a decent price for that size laminator with heat assist. Maybe I'll take another look at it. I thought they had offered a smaller version of 48 or 54" but I only see the 62" on their website