• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Uh Oh!! Please Help!

bluttr

I have a Dell Latitude C640 Laptop. 2.0 Intel P4 M. Heres my problem.

I installed software for an LG external DVD-RW drive an all was well. I left the machine on and headed off to bed as I often do. The next morning I notced the laptop was off. well... when I went to boot it up it shows the Dell screen followed by the Windows loading screen (which stays up for a lot longer than it used to) followed by a blank screen for a bit, THEN the screen of death. A blue screen comes up wit a "STOP REGISTRY C:0000218" error then restarts the whole process.

At first I assumed this was software related because of the new software that I had installed. But reading through Microsoft and Dell Support articles, it sounds like it could be hardware.

I also ran the Diagnostics from the setup and it returned a DST Short test Failure.

Any thoughts?

gvgraphics

"DST" Stands for "Drive Self Test". If you are getting this message it means your hard drive is failing or already has failed. Sorry Man!!

bluttr

"DST" Stands for "Drive Self Test". If you are getting this message it means your hard drive is failing or already has failed. Sorry Man!!

That is what I figured... Luckily this is a fairly new (to me) machine and I dont normally use this for my work.

I have read that you can get a USB drive enclosure and I may be able to retrieve some of the info from the drive. You guys think?

Thank you for the info.

Techman

registry failure,,, BSOD is registry failure.

Cannto access the hive.. Yoru data is likely safe,, U just gotta gget past the boot problem..

bluttr

ok new problem

The original problem was a faulty hard drive. I replaced the original 30 gb drive with a new dell 80 gig drive and began to reinstall all my junk i had on it originally. The very 1st thing i installed was my wireless network card so I'd have internet support if needed.

The problem now is... when i scroll down a page in internet explorer, it scrolls SLOWWW like it is lagging. I've checked to ensure that smooth scrolling is enabled.

One thing I notice is that if I minimize the window to maybe 1/4 screen the problem is gone and it gets progressively worse as I enlarge my viewing area.

The same problem occurs in Netscape and if I left click a minimized window on the desktop an move it around, it seems to leave "traces" behind it like the CPU isnt keeping up.

Any idears???

bluttr

Yup that was it, I went ahead and DL'd the audio drivers while I was there LOL so now I have sound too :)

Its all good now!:thankyou: