• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Using PHOTOSHOP & 3D Software for Artwork Creation

M D Gourley

Hello everyone,
This might be a limited market area and thinking out side the box, but something I dip my toes into now and then as I find it difficult to learn the actual 3D creation Software such as 'Blender' / '3D Max' etc to create artwork for clients and myself.
There are a few programs such as 'Daz Studio 3D' and 'Poser' (Google these if interested) that are not content creation programs but programs that you can import a purchased finished Figure / Item from a 3D sellers site such as 'Daz 3D', import that item into that program to fully pose / light in 3D space then export including 'Alpha Channel' into Photoshop for a particular subject matter for artwork creation.
Below is a simple Robot I purchased from DAZ 3D and used for my own Business advertising, as this was my new apprentice...complete with gold squeegee...LOL
KLANK Signs 101 copy.jpg

Below is a sample of artwork that I created for a customer that wanted a total sci-fi look, I photographed the model myself and using the above procedure purchased the 3D female android model and the 3D sci-fi city scape background, posed and applied lighting to them in Daz 3D and Poser, exported to Photoshop to composite the final artwork.
This may not be everyones cup of tea so to speak but again thinking out side of the box.
Thanks for stopping by.
ZL7C8166 FUTURE HAIR flat.jpg

WildWestDesigns

Hello everyone,
This might be a limited market area and thinking out side the box, but something I dip my toes into now and then as I find it difficult to learn the actual 3D creation Software such as 'Blender' / '3D Max' etc to create artwork for clients and myself.

Actually, I find that this is where things are tending to go, at least here. Using a 3D creation program helps get things like perspective a lot quicker then using traditional 2D software. Typically I'll finished with something like Krita (more like Painter then Ps) as those toolsets are better for this type of work then in Ps (at least up to CS6) and other photo manipulation programs.

Blender 2.8 has really improved this type of 3D/2D workflow (especially with their improvements of Grease Pencil (2D)), but it's still in beta, so it isn't production worthy, stable is set for spring/summer of this year tentatively.

I don't know how it is with Max as I've really only used Blender (started off with 3D printing as the main reason for going into the 3D world initially), but Blender is very hot key use heavy (I had a portable digitizing program from the 9x days that was the same way) and that really helps with workflow if learn that. Again, Blender 2.8 has really improved a more point/click approach, but it still leans heavy to hot key use. If you can make use of keyboard macros (I use an Express Key Remote for my Cintiq) that helps.

M D Gourley

Actually, I find that this is where things are tending to go, at least here. Using a 3D creation program helps get things like perspective a lot quicker then using traditional 2D software. Typically I'll finished with something like Krita (more like Painter then Ps) as those toolsets are better for this type of work then in Ps (at least up to CS6) and other photo manipulation programs.

Blender 2.8 has really improved this type of 3D/2D workflow (especially with their improvements of Grease Pencil (2D)), but it's still in beta, so it isn't production worthy, stable is set for spring/summer of this year tentatively.

I don't know how it is with Max as I've really only used Blender (started off with 3D printing as the main reason for going into the 3D world initially), but Blender is very hot key use heavy (I had a portable digitizing program from the 9x days that was the same way) and that really helps with workflow if learn that. Again, Blender 2.8 has really improved a more point/click approach, but it still leans heavy to hot key use. If you can make use of keyboard macros (I use an Express Key Remote for my Cintiq) that helps.
Thank you for the reply, very informative...I will look into some of those programs you mentioned like 'Krita'...although I used to have Corel Painter years ago...and 'Grease Pencil' looks amazing from what I have seen in You Tube videos...thanks again:)