• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Utility box wraps

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
So what? Just, look away. Quit being such a picky b@sturd. You think flowers are lame too. :p
Maybe he just needs a more relatable motif
1656477012858.png

UKSigns

I've done several transformer and electrical panel wraps for the University I work at. We wrap them to camouflage them into the surroundings more, not make them stand out. I've wrapped them in about every temperature range, even 90° heat, which is a bit challenging but still doable. My tips if you take the job are as follows:

1) Definitely wrap the top. If you don't, it will be much easier for the wrap to fail from water penetration.
2) Use a matte laminate.
3) 3M edge sealer will be your best friend.
4) They will not be opening the boxes up for you, so don't worry about adding that unknown to your cost equation.

Attachments

• 20180515_125704.jpg
    20180515_125704.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 124
  • 20180628_154033.jpg
    20180628_154033.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 136
  • 20210526_101057.jpg
    20210526_101057.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 129
  • 20180501_085059.jpg
    20180501_085059.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 123
  • 20180510_154711.jpg
    20180510_154711.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 138

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
I've done several transformer and electrical panel wraps for the University I work at. We wrap them to camouflage them into the surroundings more, not make them stand out. I've wrapped them in about every temperature range, even 90° heat, which is a bit challenging but still doable. My tips if you take the job are as follows:

1) Definitely wrap the top. If you don't, it will be much easier for the wrap to fail from water penetration.
2) Use a matte laminate.
3) 3M edge sealer will be your best friend.
4) They will not be opening the boxes up for you, so don't worry about adding that unknown to your cost equation.
That's the way to do it

citysignshop

OK, loving the discussion; I've done quite a few of these classic Econolite 'P' cabinets myself!
1656516560368.png

to relate to the original post; these take me about 2.5 hrs to do a 'nice' tight wrap IN THE SHOP!
Including cleaning twice, once with general purpose cleaner, then Isopropyl to degrease. We leave the tops bare to improve heat rejection.
In order to price installation, I'd be inclined to offer a cost to apply 50 square feet of graphic to all the 'flat' surfaces. That would only take about an hour, and look just as good from across the street, and would accomplish the grafitti resistance. yes, lots of edges, but trim them back 1/8" from the edge, and tape if you desire.
Version two would be opening the doors, ( get the common key from the utility, if not a power box) and go over all the rivets, and seams and louvres etc. with a heat gun and foam roller or whatever your preference.
That takes me at least an extra hour!...and more material...so price accordingly.

I'm no expert, just what I've experienced....really not my favourite thing to do on a hot, windy, dusty day in the field...
....but them maybe....
1656516894977.png

maybe Brandon will come and do them for us? I'm in awe of some of you guys that make it look easy!
:)

gnubler

Excellent info...thank you Ikarasu and others. I'm going to submit my bid today, willing to give it a shot just for practice.

Graffiti is a non-issue where these boxes are located. More of a vanity project, I think. Someone mentioned using a matte laminate - what's the reason? Does it make it easier to work with the vinyl?

gnubler

Another question about the safety/warning stickers in some of the images posted here. Do you reproduce the stickers already on the boxes, then reapply them over the wrap? Or does the utility company handle re-stickering them? On the boxes I'm bidding on there's a few engraved plaques on the doors, so I would just wrap over them and then cut away the vinyl laying over the plaques.

ikarasu

For the safety stickers it all depends. Up until last year they forced us to cut around them... We even offered to reproduce them for them for free because we thought that looks tacky, but they were of course under contracts to get them from somewhere else and won't allow us to do that.

Now however they supply them to us, so there is a bit of a removal in them and then we apply over top in the same location.

It'll likely vary based on who you're doing them for.

Dan360

Another question about the safety/warning stickers in some of the images posted here. Do you reproduce the stickers already on the boxes, then reapply them over the wrap? Or does the utility company handle re-stickering them? On the boxes I'm bidding on there's a few engraved plaques on the doors, so I would just wrap over them and then cut away the vinyl laying over the plaques.

Ask the client, we've done some where they put new ones over the wrap and others where we had to cut them out.

UKSigns

Why on earth would they want the breaker panels wrapped? Seems like an excellent opportunity for a service guy to wander around for 45 minutes looking to shut off a breaker.
Because the panels are located near the front desk of the campus IT department which has students in and out all the time. We have our own electricians as well that are assigned to certain buildings, so their locations never come into question.

UKSigns

We make new safety stickers and place over the top of the wrap.

UKSigns

Excellent info...thank you Ikarasu and others. I'm going to submit my bid today, willing to give it a shot just for practice.

Graffiti is a non-issue where these boxes are located. More of a vanity project, I think. Someone mentioned using a matte laminate - what's the reason? Does it make it easier to work with the vinyl?
We use matte laminate because the boxes aren't glossy to begin with and we're going for camouflage more than anything else.