• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Utility Pole Banners

Spud Murphy

I am guessing that most shops keep their secrets to their chest but maybe some generous person out there can advise. We have been screen printing Pole Banners since 1985, and tripped over to Digital on a Colorspan 72S around 2004. Most companies in this area were, and still are, printing and sewing back to back whereas we managed to perfect double sided printing on 18oz blackout vinyl.

Suddenly, for no apparent reason, the vinyl we relied on started to come in with a different coating, causing all kinds of visible swirls, swipes and printing flaws. Over the past year we have probably spent months testing more expensive fabrics. All were not either suitable for double-sided printing or curled badly on the edges when hung. We have limped along and managed to get a few borderline jobs past our clients without complaint.

In my search for a reliable fabric we have been informed by different sales people that all fabric comes from-"The same factory in Korea" and from the packaging I can believe it. Trolling college campuses through PA NY and Boston recently I can't say I was impressed by the banner work I saw and assume my problem is nationwide. Thanks in advance to anyone out there who can offer advice on digital fabics that might work.

genericname

We've seen the same issue in many materials we used to consider flagship products. In the past couple of years, I've had to go out my way to convince sales people that, yes in fact, we have been receiving a different product, despite what the manufacturer says.

I can understand wanting to change the fabrication process, or the formula of a product to make it more cost effective. When it yields an unreliable product though, and they not only fail to inform their distributors, but outright lie to them about changes having been made? Not only does it frustrate the end user, but it complicates matters on the print side, and alienates distributors, who now look amateurish for not knowing their products. This seems more and more common, and I'm not pleased in the least.