• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

UV printer rash

garyroy

I wish I had a better suggestion, we don't run UV Printers, but here's my 2 cents.
We do have an air scrubber. We use the Island Clean Air Duster 2000.
It has (2) 35LB charcoal filters. It takes in the air, variable speed up to 1200 CFM, removes VOC's, etc that get caught in the charcoal, and it emits "clean" air.
I have to say, even though we run 2 Eco Solvents for 8 hours straight, there is not a hint of smell in the building.
Problem is the scrubber is about $5000 new. Sometimes you can find one on CraigsList for 1 or 2K.

I have held off buying a flatbed for about 4 years because of the supposed odor. I used to smell it at the trade shows.
Everybody has a different tolerance.
I want a flatbed but am finding it hard to pull the trigger.

I know you put your hard earned $$$ into buying that machine. I hope you find a solution. :(

10sacer

I have to ask the question, how many people are affected by UV inks.

After acquiring a new to me Mimaki JFX 500 flatbed that held great promises speeding up our production times
I am totally gutted by the skin reaction I’ve had to the UV ink or process.

Itchy skin, blisters around eyes, even using extensive ppe and face visors any bare skin has a reaction,
Up to the point when driving was impossible
Which can take a week to diminish

I’ve been signmaking since 1980 with all types of materials, resins, solvents etc, never any reaction

Using genuine mimaki LUS 150 inks with a dedicated extraction system above the bed

Has anyone suffered similar? Or got any suggestions for third party inks that might be worth trying ?

Technically could it be airborne at printer or post printing cutting, stacking etc?

Or just a thought could there be a machine UV curing issue?

Thanks for your help

Phil
Have had three different UV printers in 12 years and run an Island Air scrubber near the printer all day. I have developed a chronic dry cough from inhaling the UV ink mist all these years and when I drive in the bright sun, my eyes start burning from the ink mist that has accumulated on top of my eyes.

Inks

So the bad news s that it still got me, not as bad but go

Have had three different UV printers in 12 years and run an Island Air scrubber near the printer all day. I have developed a chronic dry cough from inhaling the UV ink mist all these years and when I drive in the bright sun, my eyes start burning from the ink mist that has accumulated on top of my eyes.
The coughing is most likely from ground level ozone a by product of curing uv inks. Can also make your eyes feel buggy.

chrisify

Entrepreneur. Computers and graphics since 1980.
I have to ask the question, how many people are affected by UV inks.

After acquiring a new to me Mimaki JFX 500 flatbed that held great promises speeding up our production times
I am totally gutted by the skin reaction I’ve had to the UV ink or process.

Itchy skin, blisters around eyes, even using extensive ppe and face visors any bare skin has a reaction,
Up to the point when driving was impossible
Which can take a week to diminish

I’ve been signmaking since 1980 with all types of materials, resins, solvents etc, never any reaction

Using genuine mimaki LUS 150 inks with a dedicated extraction system above the bed

Has anyone suffered similar? Or got any suggestions for third party inks that might be worth trying ?

Technically could it be airborne at printer or post printing cutting, stacking etc?

Or just a thought could there be a machine UV curing issue?

Thanks for your help

Phil

chrisify

Entrepreneur. Computers and graphics since 1980.
Hi everyone.

As I sit here tonight I'm agrivated with myself all over again.

Looks like I am very allergic to my JFX200 (definately the inks) as well and I'm not really even printing yet. Just finished restoring my machine I picked up cheap and have been sorting out some problems in the white ink circulation system.

A few weeks ago I failed to use gloves since I figured I would be careful handling and working on the lines armed with rag in hand to avoid toughing ink but learned quickly that's pretty much impossible. The hoses are like sling shots and no matter how careful they throw ink everywhere. Runs in between fingers so easily!!

No matter how fast I would wash hands with dawn dish liquid an hour later I was left with a blistering poison ivey like rashes all over hands and in between fingers.. Fingers get fat and uncomfortable bending, unbearable itching and small type blisters. Takes about 2 weeks for it to clear. Lots of washing and moisturizers.

It seems the white ink is most vicious! I learned my lesson. Picked up a huge box of blue Nitrile gloves.

All healed...Fast forward to this evening.

Just popped 25mg of Benadryl and also hands coated in Benadryl cream. Hands are blowing up.

My Nitrile gloves did not work. It seems this UV cure ink softens the gloves which caused little tears in them. I changed the gloves a few times but knew it's too late. Had to finish up.

Machine is now working great!

Sounds like there may be some trouble ahead during printing with my reaction thus far. I cant imagine what im in for when this ink going airborne.

I'm using STS LUS-120 Inks. Pretty sure formulation is similar to genuine Mimaki.

***What gloves do you all use???
My 5mil chemical resistant Nitrile did no good at all.

***What hand cleaners do you use? Saw somthing about no lanolin?

Seems like Eco-Solvent inks I've used in past are child's play compared to UV Cure.

Thanks!
Chris

Inks

The Dawn soap you used has no lanolin. It appears you are sensitized to UV inks and may not be able to work near them. It is possible you got some on your skin, didn't get it all off when washing and were exposed to UV light. Usually starts with being itchy and progresses to a rash.

Philip A

So I have had patch tests and out of a hundred chemicals only one was a culprit and of course it’s in uv ink

I only enter the print room in a full suit with an air fed mask with a battery pack and filter on my back, also limiting exposure to an hour at the most. I don’t touch the prints and have them wrapped before loading them into our van. Very disappointed that I can’t be at the coal face but love the speed and high quality prints

Mr. Signboy

We have an employee that recently started running our flatbed UV printer and he is currently going through the exact same thing. He ran it with no issue for a few months, then one hot day he wore shorts and got some ink on his legs. He broke out that night with the same itchy painful bumps you’re describing. He has had this rash for about 3 weeks now and has barely used the machine( he now wears gloves and pants….) it seems to be clearing up. I run the machine regularly and so do a few others and none of us have had any problems. I suspect like any other chemical, some people are more sensitive.

designgareth

So the bad news s that it still got me, not as bad but got me!
Hi Phil, you are not alone with this...I've been maintaining two UV printers since October 22, and in January this year I managed to get a small tear in the finger of a glove which I didn't notice, I got ink on my finger, and my hands erupted ! I've had some ongoing issues ever since then. I swapped out a capping station on Thursday last week (9th March), beforehand I applied barrier cream, wore cotton gloves, two pairs of neoprene gloves, and it still got me....very badly. A visit to the docs on Friday resulted in a prescription for antihistamines and steroid cream and a warning to keep away from the inks. There really isn't sufficient warning as to the dangers of this stuff if you do become sensitive to it !

Kemik

I sell stickers and sticker accessories.
We use LUS170 inks on the Mimaki UCJV300 with no added ventilation and have not had any issues.
Occasionally there is a slight smell when using the clear UV.
Is LUS170 compatible with the JFX 500? Maybe give that a go?

bdw99

I've had the same issue with a few employees after we purchased a V7000. They were getting rashes and their eyes were getting irritated. We ended up getting 2 island air duster 2000 and they have solved our issues.

MarkSnelling

Mark Snelling - Hasco Graphics
If you allow UV ink to get on your hands and/or skin over a long period of time it is common to develop an allergy to UV inks. I know of several people who didn't wear gloves when cleaning heads/drains/spills and after a few years, they cannot even walk into a room with a UV printer in operation or they will break out in a rash. If you were just washing your hands when you got ink on them, this is likely what has happened to you.

bdw99

If you allow UV ink to get on your hands and/or skin over a long period of time it is common to develop an allergy to UV inks. I know of several people who didn't wear gloves when cleaning heads/drains/spills and after a few years, they cannot even walk into a room with a UV printer in operation or they will break out in a rash. If you were just washing your hands when you got ink on them, this is likely what has happened to you.
This is good to know... Sounds like I need to be more cautious.

garyroy

Phillip, any updates on your condition or the printer situation?
Did you keep the Mimaki or trade it in and get another brand with a different ink set?