• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

UV Printing on Fabric

Pica Grove

I've got a UV flatbed that I've done some test prints on for garment printing, one and 2 shirt runs. Comes out faded because the ink catches on the fibers and gets cured proud of the surface. Is there something I could spray on the fabric first or treat the fabric first to help get the ink and fibers to lay down on the fabric?

I have some adhesion promoter that I use for glass and metal and I noticed that the fabric gets "hard" after it dries, just wondering if there is a pre-treat I could use.

Superior_Adam

A UV Flatbed is not the proper ink or process to be using on garments. There are Direct to Garment printers for this and they are a water based ink that is cured with either a heat press or tunnel dryer. UV flatbeds will not work.

synergy_jim

I beg to differ. While not the ideal situation, it does work and I have shirts printed on mine that have worn better than direct print. The key to laying the fibers down is pressing them before you print or using dri fit shirts that don't have fibers.

Attachments

• IMG_2824.jpg
    IMG_2824.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 896
  • IMG_2801.jpg
    IMG_2801.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 840
  • IMG_2789.jpg
    IMG_2789.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 817
  • IMG_2788.jpg
    IMG_2788.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,319
  • IMG_2797.jpg
    IMG_2797.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 831
  • IMG_2804.jpg
    IMG_2804.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 885

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
I beg to differ. While not the ideal situation, it does work and I have shirts printed on mine that have worn better than direct print. The key to laying the fibers down is pressing them before you print or using dri fit shirts that don't have fibers.

I've done the same thing. it works. comes out pretty nice too. just need to do it on the right fabric.

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
We double strike for extra opacity.
It loses about 50% ink load after the first wash though, so it still doesn't compare to a proper heat pressed/dye sub print.

JoeDG

Wide format trainer and creative enthusiast
I'd tread carefully putting UV inks on to fabrics that some in contact with skin...i.e. t-shirts
When the ink is laid down the UV lamp cures the ink, however if that ink has already absorbed into the fabric you are most likely going to be left with uncured ink...and uncured UV ink is not nice (check MSDS from inks).
As has been said, this is a bit of a case of 'square peg, round hole'.
Leather, handbags, external facing fabrics might be able to get away with it!

Christian @ 2CT Media

Where did you get those platen jigs?

10sacer

Looks like a CET printer.
You are treading on very dangerous ground using UV inks for wearable garments.
It doesn't matter a hill of beans whether or not YOU have a skin reaction to the ink. It matters alot to the future of your business if a customer or anyone given one of those shirts gets a nasty skin reaction to the UV ink and can trace it back to your process.
Just ask they guy who got $78 million from Monsanto for the cancer caused by years of use of Roundup. It may take a while - but somewhere down the line someone is going to get a nasty reaction to it and then you better have a good bank account.
Its not the way to do Tshirts.