• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Van wrap lines

toodark

im always battling myself of how to lay the text on wraps. Does it go level with ground or follow body lines.

Attachments

• 0897ADAA-0CC5-4604-8DFC-619A042BE823.jpeg
    0897ADAA-0CC5-4604-8DFC-619A042BE823.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 501
  • 53F3C228-5BC8-4610-84F4-D4FCC3B3B990.jpeg
    53F3C228-5BC8-4610-84F4-D4FCC3B3B990.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 515

KMC

Graphic Artist
BODY LINES !!!
it will stick out like a sore thumb if its lined up with the ground (and the ground is never level anyway)

letterman7

"Body lines" is broad. Rocker panels or chassis is what I use. Bottom of the doors are 99% straight (level) with the rockers and chassis, so start there.

papabud

Lone Wolf
the side text i would do with the window cut out lines. and the door with the body panel trim.
your eye will normally be drawn to the closest solid line.
lay it out and step back. does it look level. good apply it.

myront

CorelDRAW is best
Sometimes it has to be a happy medium. Body lines aren't exactly level. As mentioned, tack it into place then step back about 20ft and maybe get another set of eyes on it.

decalman

I mix it up sometimes body lines, sometimes straight with a lever, or just eyeball.
If the copy badly crosses over the lines, that's bad. Then go with the flow.

rydods

Member for quite some time.
Hang it with the magnets, step back, and make it look just like the proof on the paper. If it looks level and/or like the drawing, it will be correct.

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
BODY LINES !!!
it will stick out like a sore thumb if its lined up with the ground (and the ground is never level anyway)

What? Ground is never level? Anyway, some brands demand their logos be level and NOT follow body lines. They don't want any angle on their logo etc.
Many vans nowadays have lines that are not parallel and choosing which lines to match is a problem. Following the most obvious ones or the rocker panels may be the best choice.
Solution...Ask the CUSTOMER their preference when in doubt.

KMC

Graphic Artist
What? Ground is never level? Anyway, some brands demand their logos be level and NOT follow body lines. They don't want any angle on their logo etc.
Many vans nowadays have lines that are not parallel and choosing which lines to match is a problem. Following the most obvious ones or the rocker panels may be the best choice.
Solution...Ask the CUSTOMER their preference when in doubt.

oh yes totally ask the customer first if in doubt
BUT also the designer needs to understand how the body lines work with wraps and text etc and let the customer know well before the install happens, i have seen too many designers submit a proof and forget to highlight bodylines and show the customer this is what we recommend for the install due to the shape of your vehicle
The designers we have on staff know how to wrap/ install decals well before they send off proofs so they know whats going to happen with any sort of complex curve

OhioSigns

I always choose ONE body line that seems to fit the vehicle best and reference everything off of that. Windows, roof lines and body lines are hardly ever parallel to each other so I normally choose the one closest to being level or seems to flow with the overall general body lines of the vehicle best. Rarely do I ever use a level or reference the ground partly because if it's a work vehicle it may not be squatting if empty compared to when it will be loaded down with tools and equipment and then look crooked.