• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Variable Data Printing - Wide Format

Goatshaver

Wondering if anyone has done any variable data printing on their wide format machine and if so did you find it helpful?

I do a lot of short run vinyl stickers for products and I've got a couple of customers who have a common label but only change one piece of it. Figured it would be perfect for variable data but haven't dove into it on wide format before. I used to do variable data mailing and I'm sure it a similar setup. Just curious is anyone has had experience running it on wide format RIP.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
Wondering if anyone has done any variable data printing on their wide format machine and if so did you find it helpful?

I do a lot of short run vinyl stickers for products and I've got a couple of customers who have a common label but only change one piece of it. Figured it would be perfect for variable data but haven't dove into it on wide format before. I used to do variable data mailing and I'm sure it a similar setup. Just curious is anyone has had experience running it on wide format RIP.
I do, but I set it all up and do the data merge in Illy. We do a lot of Storage unit numbers, printed on sheets of ACM, then they get CNC cut.

Goatshaver

I do, but I set it all up and do the data merge in Illy. We do a lot of Storage unit numbers, printed on sheets of ACM, then they get CNC cut.
Is the setup for data merge in Illustrator similar to InDesign? I never really used it much in the native Adobe apps as we had a varaible data standalone program to handle tens of thousands of records.

Boudica

Is the setup for data merge in Illustrator similar to InDesign? I never really used it much in the native Adobe apps as we had a varaible data standalone program to handle tens of thousands of records.
I haven't tried it, but I would think it's pretty similar. I have instructions to do it in Indd, just haven't done it.

Dan360

Onyx Layout Tool will do variable data, cuts down on RIP time if you do it in there. That being said we usually use InDesign

unmateria

Is use quite imposing, efi compose/impose or Corel (in that order lol). In that order because Quite is extremely fast and makes the better optimized pdfs (dont try to impose 60000 of nothing on Corel lol... But in quite you do them in seconds)

Goatshaver

Onyx Layout Tool will do variable data, cuts down on RIP time if you do it in there. That being said we usually use InDesign
See I have Onyx and I saw that there was some variable data function but haven't explored it. Might have to give it a try and see how it works.

Boudica

See I have Onyx and I saw that there was some variable data function but haven't explored it. Might have to give it a try and see how it works.
I've explored that rout a few times. You have to use the Layout Editor, and it still sucks, even in Onyx 22.