• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Versaworks update causes problem.

threeputt

Launched VW this morning and got their notice of update. I clicked on install. During the download Malwarebytes pops up and says it has quarrantined a malicious virus from this download. Now VW won't launch stating "some application files are missing to start the program". "Please re-install the application".

I then open my Malwarebytes program and it shows it has quarrantined the virus and it shows this.

Exploit.drop.70 Item: C:/Program files 986)\RolandVersaworks\VersaWorks\N...

Did a virus piggy back into my system via VW?

And to get VW up and running what must I do? Any help?

gridbuster

Any Luck?

The same thing happened to me today, not getting much help from my contact at Roland at the moment, please advise

FrankW

Often that virus protection applications identify regular files or regular action of installers as viruses or attacks. I had that problem before for years with one or two virus protectors ( don't remember) and Flexi installations. Mostly ot is suggested to turn virus apps off before installing.

So I would try to re-install.

gridbuster

Restored

I restored the Roland .exe file from quarantine and VersaWorks seems to be running fine again. Thanks for the advice! Here is the official response I got from Roland:

"It is very common for anti-virus packages to flag certain ".exe" commands from VersaWorks. These commands are necessary for VersaWorks to update its files and remove older versions of certain resources. The change in system requirements and deletion of older file components can often flag as a virus because it is physically introducing new functionality to your application. We can assure you that Roland DG does not bundle any virus or malware components in any of our updates and that our online updater is completely free of malware or malicious software. Often these updates become interrupted due to size of file download, internet connection bandwidth, preset file size limits with the internet service provider, and often anti-virus packages.
VersaWorks will not operate correctly if the deleted files are not restored using the updater. We recommend disabling anti-virus packages only for the update and turning them back on after the update is complete. This will allow VersaWorks to complete its update correctly. This is necessary for VersaWorks to function without completely uninstalling the application and re-installing it.
If disabling your anti-virus software is a concern in the future, there are offline updaters available on our support site which do not require an internet connection."