• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vertical banding on radial gradients

unmateria

Ok, only seen the vídeo... Thats a bad colour profile or bad used...
I dont use onyx anymore (i wont express my opinions here about that piece of ...) lol... I dont remember... The option in every program is called "rendering intent". You must choose "relative" for flat colours and "perceptual" for anything else (extremely vague and basic said lol)
And you must have a perfect linearization, so yes you need an i1 or similar densitometer.

Be sure to rasterize in photoshop the image, to tiff with lzw option, 200-300 dpis and no layers, converting colours to srgb, so the rip just will have to convert colours with the ICC provided by you or the profile.

If you want to try if its just that, try with other colour profile for the same machines+inks+paper but with different ICC (colour profile). You want to use srgb, not adobergb

alexcim

It's the profiles that were created when the machine was installed back in March. Been using them without issue, but to be fair we probably don't print many gradients. It's just this one job that's come through now.

This is a pure vector gradient. It's made in Illustrator. I tried to re-do the print in 16bit now instead of 16bit smart processing and with ICC profiles off, and there is basically no change. The artwork is attached, it's at 1:10 scale and we scale it up when RIPping.

I am not sure I can raster this as PS only allows 50,000 pixels I think, our prints are 2300mm x 69,000mm (69m) and even if I did, would it make a difference or will the RIP just mess with it anyway?

Attachments

• yale-reprint-16bit-police-pink.pdf
    4 MB · Views: 132

unmateria

Yes, photoshop is extremely fast rasterizing PDFs etc and most important, its the more precise... So what you see is what u get if use correctly the iccs. For that biiig image, you are going to be límited about 40dpis anyway for the tiff format (max 4gb) altought photoshop limits to 300kpixels width x 300kpixels height image (about 100 dpi)... So if onyx can rip it (i really doubt since at least for the time i was using it was slow as hell)... Stick with it and make a new linearization and new ICC profile (above 1600 patches). Also try 8bits per pixel per color, thats much than enough for every printer (16 bits is just for archive or having deeper colour info for postprocessing). I will try to open the file these days, im on mobile now