• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Very Serious Illustrator CS6 crash - CorelDRAW related

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
I'm dealing with a really nasty CS6 bug now for the second time on another design workstation.

Back in March I was trying to open a CorelDRAW .CDR file directly into Adobe Illustrator CS6 64-bit. Previous versions of Illustrator have had limited CorelDRAW format support and CS6 isn't any different. Well, one particular .CDR file managed to be a poison pill of sorts. I tried opening the file at the File>Open dialog box. Illustrator crashed. After that it wouldn't launch. Rebooting didn't help. Deleting aiprefs didn't help. The 32-bit version of Illustrator CS6 still worked. What made this error worse: it affected ALL my 64-bit CS6 apps. Photoshop CS6 64-bit would crash when opening a file. Other apps like Premiere Pro and After Effects wouldn't launch. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the affected apps, but that didn't work. The only step that did was backing up files, wiping the hard drive and doing a Windows 8 factory reset.

My coworker ran into the same problem this afternoon. Does anyone have any experience with this particular bug (and hopefully know any workarounds that might solve the problem without having to factory reset)? It's going to be a bigger chore to do a clean install on this other machine. It's running more apps, like MS Office 2013, FlexiCloud Expert, etc.