• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vinyl Differences

K2

When I look in the order catalogs I see PVC, calendered and some not specified types of vinyl. I have asked people what the difference is but I cant seem to get a clear answer. Can anybody here answer it and also maybe what they prefer and maybe get even more specific on what kind of vinyl (name brand and number) do they use for everyday use like for small decals to real estate signs.

Double Diamond

We use Oracal 651 on almost everything. The cost is low, the quality is high. It's an intermediate vinyl. We have been using it for over 5 years and have had no issues. It weeds well. It lasts in the west Texas sun. The colors seem to match perfectly from roll to roll, and we often tile 24" to vinyl off the 15" roll and it allways matches perfectly. It has a nice gloss to it. We also chose it in order to stock just one roll of each color rather than two. The premium vinyl just costs too much for a two year outdoor advantage. I believe this vinyl is the best selling vinyl out there right now. Sign Warehouse, Fellers, and our guys at Graphic Solutions sell this. Get a sample piece and cut some 1/4" text and I think you'll see why I brag about it.:scream:

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
You may find my reply in post #3 of this thread to be of interest.

We use 3M ScotchCal for any sign graphics we know are intended to be as durable as possible and have no problem charging an appropriate amount more. For less durable requirements, we use Oracal 651.

I can say with near 100% certainty that Oracal 651 will not last outdoors to within a two year difference in life to 3M ScotchCal. It is much less.

AUTO-FX

+1 for 651 good all around even commercial truck lettering

pvc, calendered = lower cost vinyl, produced by squeezing out semi liquid pvc into desired width. generally thicker. cheaper calendered can curl or shrink due to the squeezing process. some people think that a particular company may have attempted to pass off calendered as cast due to poor performance issues- but that is a whole different thread.
cast = high quality. poured not squeezed, it is thinner and doesnt curl. more conformable, longer lasting, more expensive. but- you get what you pay for just like buying paint.

i like to use 651 for general purpose stuff. i like to use 3M cast for vehicle graphics ( many people request it specifically) or nicer outdoor applications. Oracal has a wide array of cast film, i havent used much of it but i'm sure it is very high quality.

AUTO-FX

haha, i glanced at it real quick and thought it said LAST august, well three days aint so bad...

OldPaint

SHINE-RITE..........been using it for last 5-6 years........ZERO PROBLEMS. weeds well and is about $20 less then a 24" x 150 roll of oracal.

WB

Screw brand names.. learn to tell what kinda of vinyl your buying..

Most vinyls are a form of PVC (Polyvinyl Chloride) they just add things to it but it's still mainly PVC..

When you see Calendered or Cast that has to do with the way that vinyl is manufactured. Calendered is a lower grade and Cast is the higher longer lasting.

Each one can come with a different adhesive which again can change the application/ues of the vinyl.
If I were you I'd look at where it's going and how long it's supposed to be there. That will tell you what type of vinyl and what type of adhesive your supposed to use.
Doesn't really matter who makes it..

What I can tell you is find a mid range vinyl and a high range vinly and stick with those. Don't cheap out because your only going to loose $$ and you really don't save anything by trying to go cheap.

We could get into the whole thing about printing on the different vinyl but that would make my head hurt!

;)

chopper

I use Oracal 751 or 851 on everything,
I wouldn't use the 651 on truck lettering or anything to be out doors for a long period of time, it will not hold up to the weather and calendered will shrink cast does not, when you figure it out the cost difference is minimal a few cents more per sqft. I have had to redo a few trucks that were lettered with the 651 because I was out of 751 at the time and couldnt wait for the 751 to be delivered, what a mistake that was the 651 shrank and cracked into a million pieces and it took for ever to remove it from the truck doors and re-letter with 751/851 this was only 2.5 to 3 years after it was lettered, I decied that I will save myself from looking like an ass and the labor and time used by trying to cut corners,
//chopper

Williams Signs

Only problem I have with Oracal 751 & 851 is the transparency of the red and orange. If you put orange on dark color the background color affects the orange.

OldPaint

i beg to differ with ya chopper...........i also use 751-851 oracal for most new vehicles, but you are dead wrong about what you say about 651 or an intermediate vinyl lasting outdoors.
like i said i use SHINE-RITE and have for over 5 years. i do a lot of TREE SERVICE vehicles.
now iam sure HP would look nice, but it sure wont last longer!!!!!!!!!!! most of these vehicles see tree branches, workers hittin the trucks with trees......etc. the problem with HP in these applications.....its THIN.........and has less Resistance to scrapes and bumps. the intermediate HOLDS UP BETTER UNDER ROUGH USAGE. and being cleaned with a pressure washer!!!!!!!!! i got 3-4 tree services i do work for, and have used SHINE-RITE on all of em. the owners tell me how well that truck i did 4-5 years ago has held up to all that bumpin & scraping of the vinyl.
just a little something you can consider.................