• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

vinyl not sticking-silicone type coating?

petepaz

lettered this van the other day and the surface on the box is really slick. had trouble getting the cut lettering to stick while pulling the application tape off but usually if you get it to stick it's ok and after a few days it bonds better. anyway two days later it's curling in some spots. i cleaned the surface multiple times with denatured alcohol. pretty sure the box is fiberglass.
i am thinking i can just use high tack vinyl (i hope) that shit sticks to everything. anyone else encounter this or have any tips/tricks for prep or material?

Attachments

• van-2.jpg
    van-2.jpg
    460.9 KB · Views: 239
  • van-4.jpg
    van-4.jpg
    661.8 KB · Views: 160
  • van-3.jpg
    van-3.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 160
  • van-1.jpg
    van-1.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 163
  • van.jpg
    van.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 177

letterman7

Some guys will polish the fiberglass with liquid glass. It's a polymer used in the marine industry. It's almost as bad as the new ceramic coatings that are being used on cars now. I would have said that, but the van doesn't look to be in that great a shape. But the box looks pretty good - my bet it was treated with something.

petepaz

i guess i will just cut some high tack samples and see if they stick.
yeah they got a used van but it's definitely been around the block a few times..haha
thanks for the input

jfiscus

Rap Master
There's a coating some dealerships put on that our installers have to remove with a torch. I believe it is something like an armorall product. You can watch it burn off like moisture/humidity does.

Floridaman

There's a coating some dealerships put on that our installers have to remove with a torch. I believe it is something like an armorall product. You can watch it burn off like moisture/humidity does.
I witnessed some silicon-greasy layer in a glass totally removed with a torch