• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vinyl on basketball goal pads

petesign

Need to put a sponsor's logo in cut vinyl on the pads that are on the basketball goal posts. These pads look like wrestling mats, and appear to be made of vinyl. I called 3M and they said nothing they made was a good idea, as it was highly plasterized?? Anyway - they said that 190 series vinyl which is made for soft sided vehicle applications was the closest thing they had that might work.

Has anyone put cut vinyl on a pad like this? What did you use and how well did it work?

10sacer

Vinyl on vinyl

Just did this for a logo rebrand of local college sports teams.
original was screenprinted to vinyl padding.
We used 3M vinyl for textured surfaces - can't remember the number right now - sorry - someone will be able to spout it here.
We used 3M solvent cleaner to remove parts of screen ink that "stuck out" beyond vinyl logo we were applying, wiped it all down with alcohol and primer and laid it out and applied pressure by hand. Ben up for two months so far with no issues. We told them up front it won't last forever and printed two extra sets for them to have on hand.
Just my two cents - but make sure you try to avoid having any sharp points in your design. What I mean is if you have a design element that ends in a sharp point - go ahead and round it off before you apply. Gives it a little more surface area for max adhesion possibilities.

There may be a better way to do this - but this has worked so far.

ova

I guess it depends how long the vinyl will be there. In your case sounds like the whole season.

Every year we do the signage for the Conference tourney. One weekend girls, the next weekend boys. It's at a local College that doesn't allow the advertising to stay up between weekends.

We just use Oracal 651 white since it is temporary. The best way I got it to stick was to use a mild thinner to clean the padding. It didn't harm the padding material and cleaned all the oily residue enough to allow the vinyl to stick. We've done it this way for the past five years and so far so good.

I think the key is to make certin that the padding is as clean as possible before applying the vinyl. Some of the cleaners and sanitizers being used will leave a nasty residue.

Hope this helps
Dave