• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

VJ 1204 Banding problems.

A&ESignShoppe

I've got a ValueJet 1204 that I bought from Sign Warehouse a few months back, and it's starting to give me some banding issues. My boss doesn't think it's that big of a deal to worry about, but it's really, REALLY bothering me as the machine is only a few months old and in my mind, it *should* still be printing perfectly.

I've tried regularly cleaning the printhead, capping station, wiper, etc. I've very carefully cleaned off the encoder strip. Even emptied out the ink reservoir and replaced the sponges with maxi pads (thanks for that hint, Signs101! :thumb:). Nothing seems to be working.

The problem mainly shows up only in certain colors. Black usually looks fine, but blues, flesh tones, and other colors come out as banded.

Can anyone take a look at the photos I've provided and give me some advice? I really, REALLY hope it's not the encoder strip, as the machine is only a few months old and I don't want to spend over $200 for another one. :banghead:

Also, please be patient with me here. This machine is still very new to me, so I might not know exactly what you're talking about if you guys start getting technical.

Thanks in advance!

PS: The banding is horizontal, before I forget.

Attachments

• WP_20140801_001.jpg
    WP_20140801_001.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 145
  • WP_20140801_002.jpg
    WP_20140801_002.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 134

ToasTuk

Have you performed a nozzle check. It appears you have a lost nozzle(s) and a nozzle check will reveal if this is the case and which colour(s) it is on. Normally a head soak for 1-2 hours using cleaning fluid helps to release this.

A&ESignShoppe

Nozzle check generally looks fine. Out of all the individual jets, I only saw one on the black that was slightly misaligned and two on the magenta that failed to fire. Everything else was perfect.

A&ESignShoppe

I see. So that means I have to disconnect the print head then?

Not gonna lie.... I'm *kinda* apprehensive about doing that. I've never taken off the printhead before and I'm absolutely terrified about messing something up. :covereyes:

ToasTuk

NO. Leave the head in place. To head soak you normally position lint free cloth (wetted in cleaning solution) between the capping station and the head. About 15 minute intervals you add more solution to the cloth and repeat for upto 2 hours. Then run a cleaning cycle straight away then nozzle check. Mutoh list this on their website as a recognised way.

guitarguy69

Run the printhead over to the left door, open and inspect the head. Look for hairs or other obstructions. I use a swab and solution to wipe once per side of the swab in the direction of the wiping motion. Then run a Little Charge, inspect nozzle test. If that fails, do a head soak.
No need to disconnect anything, search head soak.

ToasTuk

I've hear some people use cloths as supplied with glasses, others using old t-shirt cloth. This importance is lint free as not to add contamination to the heads.

A&ESignShoppe

I cut a square out of a lint-free glove that I had and soaked it in cleaning solution. Gonna let it soak for a while and hopefully that will help.

One question, and I apologize if this is a stupid one: Is there anything wrong with cracking open one of the cleaning cartridges, squeezing the solution out and using it for swabbing? I ask because my bottle is running low, and I'd rather not have to order $100 worth of stuff from my distributor just to get another one.

A&ESignShoppe

It's not an issue of the $25 bucks. Rather it's an issue of not having $75 worth of other stuff to order right now in order to get free shipping from our local distributor.

ToasTuk

Yes from a cleaning cartridge is fine. It is the same composite as the inks so will soften or thin the ink.

A&ESignShoppe

Well, I tried a head soak, and it didn't really work. Those same two nozzles still aren't firing.

Is there anything else I can try without taking the machine apart or calling Sign Warehouse for customer support?

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Have you run the print feed calibration yet? A couple nozzles out might be causing the issue but I would not rule out the print feed calibration. You will need a ruler that measures up to 500mm and a loupe or magnifying glass to get an accurate adjustment. Check out the user manual and look for Print Feed Calibration, or something along those lines. Follow the instruction and see if that helps.

rcook99

Have you run the print feed calibration yet? A couple nozzles out might be causing the issue but I would not rule out the print feed calibration. You will need a ruler that measures up to 500mm and a loupe or magnifying glass to get an accurate adjustment. Check out the user manual and look for Print Feed Calibration, or something along those lines. Follow the instruction and see if that helps.

I am with VandrJ on this. It is more of a feed issue. I can print one from Flexi Print and have banding but if I export the same print out of Flexi and print in through Sign Lab 9.1 it prints fine. Now if I take the same print and choose another print profile in Flexi it will also fix the banding.

Stealth Ryder

Page Feed

Menu
Right to Media Type 1 Enter
Down to Page Feed
Set to 250mm
Enter on Test Print 1
Measure
Enter adjustment if off
Enter to save
Exit to Ready to Print

A&ESignShoppe

Did the print feed test and everything checks out fine. The measure on the left side of the media was 250mm right on the dot, while on the right side near the console it was about 250.5 or something like that. Not really enough to make a difference.

Meanwhile, my nozzle test is showing that yet another nozzle on the magenta and even one nozzle on the black isn't firing anymore. This is REALLY starting to make me worried. The machine is only a few months old and should *NOT* be going out already. I've been running the standard head clean every day and cleaning the wiper, cap station, printhead front and ramps routinely. The head soak did nothing.

WHAT'S THE DEAL HERE?!?! :banghead:

A&ESignShoppe

UPDATE: Seems like the solution to my problem was simpler than I thought. I just changed the profile I was using and the print came out perfectly. :thumb:

Thanks for your help, everyone! If nothing else, I can write this off as a learning experience. :Big Laugh